How to transfer files from iMac to Powerbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dirily, Mar 30, 2005.

1. dirily macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought a new Powerbook and want to transfer all of my files from my iMac to the new machine. I basically want my new laptop to look and function exactly like the old one :) I know there is a way to do this through Firewire, but it is not working for me. I also tried saving files on my iPod and moving them over, but that was only mildly successful.

If anyone has an easy way to explain how I can do this, please let me know. Also, how can I "wipe my system clean" so the new owner of my iMac doesn't have access to any of my old files?

Thanks for any helpful info :)

Diana

2. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Well if you just want to transfer a select number of files over to the PowerBook and firewire isn't working i'd try a regular ethernet cable. Just plug each end to each computer and make sure you have file sharing on and appletalk on on both computers. You don't need a fancy cross over ethernet cable because the PowerBook will do the crossover automatically. If you want a clone copy of the iMac then thats another story..i'd keep the 'Books hard drive intact. I'm not sure what you mean by "wipe my system clean", i'm guessing you want to erase the whole hard drive. You could just reinstall the system and zero all data before you install the new OS. Granted this might take longer but i'm sure all your data will be gone. Just make sure you have all the files you wanted before you do this! Hope this helps! Good luck, congrats on the new PowerBook :)

3. dirily thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info :) I bought a new firewire cable today (mine was pretty old and I think that's probably why it wasn't recognized.) If THAT doesn't work, I'll try the Ethernet cable option. :)

4. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Doesn't 10.3 Panther have the option do an automated transfer of files from an old computer? Or is that a new thing in Tiger? I don't remember. I thought that it even transfers user accounts and all their data.

6. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I recently had my iBook's HD replaced (it failed :(), and when I started it up after getting it back from the Apple Store, I already had my FW HD plugged in, and it gave me the option of restoring everything from that (it read it as another computer, I guess it thought I had another machine in Target Disk mode). I opted not to do it, but you could definitely give it a try!