How to transfer files from old G3 to iMacG5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Patriot787, Dec 7, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2004
    I have an old Power Mac G3 266 Mhz that, originally didn't have any USB ports. I upgraded the G3 to a 500 Mhz processor and added 2 USB ports. Note: there is no Fire Wire on this old G3. Now, I just bought an iMac G5 20". Here's the question: How do I transfer all my important files from the G3 to the iMac G5?? Do I have to buy an external hard drive that has SCSI connectivity, and then transfer the files from A to B to C? Or, is there any other way to do it? Please keep in mind, I am not a techie, so keep it simple!
  2. macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    All you need is the Firewire cables attached from the imac to your powerbook start up the powerbook in firewire mode hold command T and sync.

When you start up your iMac for the first time it should give you the option to do this.
  3. Guest

Oct 3, 2003
    Does your old G3 have a ethernet port? Why not network them together via an ethernet cable and just copy files over that way?
  4. Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

FFS: Read the post.
    No firewire...

You could try an A-A USB cable like this althought it might be really slow... haven't used one myself so no personal guarantee.

Or you could take the G3s IDE hard-drive out, put it into a firewire enclosure (case) and connect it that way.
  5. macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Ethernet port

Just buy an ethernet cable.
    Network the two together.
    Drag and drop.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    Yes, definitely go with Ethernet. Just turn on file sharing on the iMac and connect the G3 to it --> drag and drop.

If this gets too complicated, you can always get a firewire PCI-card for your G3 and start up the iMac in target disc mode (by pressing T on startup) and it will mount the iMac's HD on your G3 --> drag and drop.

You should be fine with the first option though.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    try ethernet, but be sure to get a crosslink cable, MacOSX says it doesn't need crossed anymore, but I had some trouble with that so to be on the safe side ;)I think your ethernet on the G3 is still10Mbps so it will be as fast (or slow) as USB I guess...

or get an enclosure for the drive, but I do remember the G3 cases to be somewhat annoying to open and remove a drive...

or third option: do you know anyone who has a USB1.1/2 external drive?
    just use that one for the transfer, so youdon't need to buy anything (exept some beers as thank you ;) )

PS: your iMac has no SCSI so buying a SCSI drive would be a waste of money...
  8. macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    You could get an USB floppy reader and transfer your files via floppy disks...
    ;) J/K

Ethernet is the solution.