How to transfer files to new mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andiwm2003, Jan 31, 2007.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

sorry if this has been posted before but i couldn't find anything for my specific case:

i have a PB G4 and i want to upgrade to a MBP or MB soon. i have my HD cloned with superduper.
    so when i have both macs there i can easily transfer my files by firewire direct cable.

but i'm going to send my powerbook G4 out for repair (i'll get a new logic board). i have my HD cloned with superduper.
    now, if they don't have the logic board there and they give me a different powerbook i won't be able to clone my HD back.
    hence i won't have both mac here at the same time. so the firewire option won't work.
    how can i transfer my files and especially things like keychain, e-mail accounts, bookmarks, settings, software licences to the new MBP?:confused:

i'm sure somebody had a similar situation. what's the best strategy?

thanks for any help!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's possible - although I've never tested this - that the Migration Assistant could be fooled into using a FW drive with a Mac image on it instead of an actual Mac for the transfer, so you might be OK. After all, M.A. uses the other Mac in Firewire "Target" mode. Anyone know for sure?

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Yes, it works with a FireWire drive.

When I set up my Mac mini 2 years ago, I put the internal HD from a G4/867 in a FireWire case & it treated it just like another Mac. (The Mac mini wouldn't recognize the drive when it was in the G4. A symptom of many little problems I was having with the G4.)

When I set up my MacBook Pro last year, the Setup/Migration Assistant even asked if I had a FireWire drive to transfer from.

4. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

cool thanks.

that makes it easier for me because i wasn't sure if i should better first buy a new mac and then send the old for repair. now i can send out my mac and buy a MBP/MB later.

does the transfer of keychains and mailboxes usually work smoothly? it would kill me if i would lose my passwords......