Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
OK, I've tried for 3 days solidly, to figure out how to transfer recorded videos from my DVR (Pace RNG200N) to my Mac Mini. I've learned way more about somethings than I ever wanted to know, however, I'm still unsure how to proceed.

With analog disappearing March 1, 2016, I would still like to watch certain programs in a different room than my DVR. Since I've been capturing these same 2 programs on my Analog TV and VCR for 30 years, I still want this option.

Before I start taking apart my DVR and Mac Mini, perhaps someone on this site can help me figure this out what to do before I go slowly insane.

I wait with bated breath while my dear husband is still waiting to be fed.

Patt:eek:

According to the Manual for Pace RNG200N
CABLE IN -Connect the cable service here.

ETHERNET - For use in home networks.

VIDEO OUT - Connect to the composite video input on your VCR (or a standard TV).

AUDIO OUT - Connect to the L and R audio inputs on your stereo TV, stereo VCR, or optional stereo amplify

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (electrical)- Connect to the electrical digital audio input on optional digital audio equipment, such as an audio decoder or home theater receiver.

S-VIDEO- Connect to the S-video input (if present) on your VCR or TV.

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface)-
If your HDTV has an HDMI, connect it here for a digital audio/video connection (instead of using the AUDIO
and three analog COMPONENT VIDEO connectors

CableCARD module - Removal will interrupt your service.

IR RECEIVE - Connect to an optional remote “eye”.

DC IN +12V - Connect your set-top’s power supply unit here. Make this connection last of al

COMPONENT VIDEO - If your HDTV does not have an HDMI, connect your HDTV here.

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (optical) - Connect to the optical digital audio input on optional digital audio equipment.

TO TV - Connect to the RF/antenna input on your TV or VCR (optional).

USB (Universal Serial Bus) port - Connect to compatible optional equipment that supports a USB 2.0 interface (future use).

eSATA - Connect to an optional external hard disk (if this feature is enabled by your cable service-provider).

1394 - Connect to a TV with a 1394 port or to any other 1394-compatible device.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
That one looks expensive if I'm honest, but yeah any capture device that can be put into a USB port and is compatible with the mac should be good.

Remember it's composite, so the quality wont be great 480i (i think)...
if you can find one with svideo - that could yield a better picture, but it depends on the source.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
As AFEPPL says, the Elgato device you posted a link to is low resolution. If that's sufficient, you can stop reading.

Presuming the DVR outputs HD (which it sounds like it does), you can get HD (720p, 1080i) in less than digital quality if the capture device supports component input. If the capture device has HDMI input, then you can get true HD quality. The problem with HDMI is that HDCP (copy protection) may prevent recording. I have an older, discontinued Elgato device (EyeTV HD) which had component input and it works pretty well. I worry what will happen when/if the Elgato device stops working and coincidentally, I spent a few minutes doing a search recently and couldn't find a clear-cut Mac solution. Perhaps getting a component-to-HDMI converter and then getting a game capture box that has HDMI, such as the one in the link below, will work, but I don't know and it's not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-System...454532849&sr=8-1&keywords=elgato+game+capture

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
That one looks expensive if I'm honest, but yeah any capture device that can be put into a USB port and is compatible with the mac should be good.

Remember it's composite, so the quality wont be great 480i (i think)...
if you can find one with svideo - that could yield a better picture, but it depends on the source.

Thanks AFEPPL, There is an S-video on the DVR, but of course, not S-Video on the Mac. I also have composite on the DVR and the VCR, but again, nothing like this on my Mac. I don't really need it too good, as I will only watch the captured show once.
[doublepost=1454536522][/doublepost]treekram, thank for replying. The link below shows a video describing the Elgato System. Just in case others are just reading this, one has to scroll down to the third comment to watch the video. $79.22 is not too bad, where as the
Elgato Systems Game Capture HD High 1080p Definition Game Recorder, is $137.90. Good think I have some birthday money stored in Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-..._cp_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=189WBAZRW4YK7SXC7BD3

I sure like the device that was mentioned at the beginning of my post, but I guess England isn't sharing their products. Surely, someone is going to come forth with a High Definition VCR that worked like the old VCR. I guess the closest is a DVR though I have also learned about the PVR (personal video recorder). DVRs are fine, but there is so much additional money involved to keep it working. My JVC VCR is still working just fine; I bought it in 1997.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
The mini has no way to get a video output from an external device into it...

Hang on a minute. That Pace recorder has Firewire, which is ideal. Even if she only has a 2014 Mac without Firewire, wouldn't an Apple Thunderbolt adaptor work?

Reactions: AFEPPL

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yep, you could also do that, I know the adapter gets very mixed reviews but it will provide better quality assuming the pace box is not having any copy protection implemented for content.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Missed that it had Firewire (1394). The manual I saw online didn't have Firewire. If it does have Firewire, you'd need to have the appropriate cable (depending on whether the DVR had Firewire 400 or 800). When I used a Firewire transfer, I think I used iMovie to capture the video. I noticed iMovie isn't on my 2012 Mini, but is on my non-Retina 2012 MBP. I don't know what the deal is there.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Hey you neat people, thanks for keeping this thread going. I'm sure there are many others like me out there.

I've captured video with a Canon ZR30 DV Camcorder (still works) via Quicktime, guess I can try that program for a capture vehicle. I have Firewire 800 on my Mac Mini and happen to have an adapter from 400 to 800, and since the Pace has 400 WF, it looks like I'm good to go. How about that?

Will let ya'll know if it works. I just love brainstorming, thanks SO MUCH.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiveM

scottrngr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
As AFEPPL says, the Elgato device you posted a link to is low resolution. If that's sufficient, you can stop reading.

Presuming the DVR outputs HD (which it sounds like it does), you can get HD (720p, 1080i) in less than digital quality if the capture device supports component input. If the capture device has HDMI input, then you can get true HD quality. The problem with HDMI is that HDCP (copy protection) may prevent recording. I have an older, discontinued Elgato device (EyeTV HD) which had component input and it works pretty well. I worry what will happen when/if the Elgato device stops working and coincidentally, I spent a few minutes doing a search recently and couldn't find a clear-cut Mac solution. Perhaps getting a component-to-HDMI converter and then getting a game capture box that has HDMI, such as the one in the link below, will work, but I don't know and it's not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-System...454532849&sr=8-1&keywords=elgato+game+capture
[doublepost=1454618475][/doublepost]My brother-in-law works for the cable company, which is owned by comcast. He said they will quit using the QAM tuner in the next year or so. That is the tuner in your average HDTV. SO in the not too distant future, you will need a cable box to get any cable channels. As an aside, I tried the cablebox with the EyeTV HD, and it doesn't work.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
[doublepost=1454618475][/doublepost]My brother-in-law works for the cable company, which is owned by comcast. He said they will quit using the QAM tuner in the next year or so. That is the tuner in your average HDTV. SO in the not too distant future, you will need a cable box to get any cable channels. As an aside, I tried the cablebox with the EyeTV HD, and it doesn't work.

Or a box with a CableCard? It's how TiVo's work (but there is an OTA version also). The initial cost is high but I love my Tivo. Transferring video to my NAS is quite easy and you can use the app to log in and watch on mobile devices or your Mac. If you have Plex, it has a channel plugin to watch your Tivo content on almost anything.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI

From what I understand, there are regulations that require analog outputs from cable boxes. I don't keep up with all the details. I know they allowed cable companies for a trial period to not provide analog for first-run movies within a certain amount of time after first release. I'll have to look into if there's been any change in the regulations. It maybe something that they're trying to discourage and only if you complain then they'll say that it was some problem with the box and then they'll provide you with a solution.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Hey you neat people, thanks for keeping this thread going. I'm sure there are many others like me out there.

I've captured video with a Canon ZR30 DV Camcorder (still works) via Quicktime, guess I can try that program for a capture vehicle. I have Firewire 800 on my Mac Mini and happen to have an adapter from 400 to 800, and since the Pace has 400 WF, it looks like I'm good to go. How about that?

Will let ya'll know if it works. I just love brainstorming, thanks SO MUCH.

Apparently, my adapter I thought I had for FireWire 400 to FireWire 800 was not correct, it was the update for USB from 2 to 3. So have to wait a coupe days for Amazon order before this experiment can happen.

Here is a link to free software which will allow one to capture/transport from the DVR to the Mac Mini or others (assuming). http://www.ammesset.com/ The name of the program is FireReccord. an easy download. The videos transported to my Mac will be saved on the Mac using MPEG2
"FireRecordTM allows you to automatically record video from your FireWire enabled MPEG2 devices such as cable set-top boxes. Schedule individual or recurring events from one or more devices."

This brings me to another question which I feel is getting over my head.

How to allow Quicktime to incorporate MPEG2. This is the YouTube instructions.
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=90LZoDX-shw (deleted the Https: so it would not bring up the actual video.
I followed the instructions and now have my fingers crossed hoping I didn't screw something up. If anyone sees a blunder on my part, please don't hesitate to warn me. I am in a little over my head.
QuickTime .jpg

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Apple says the QuickTime MPEG2 component only works up to Snow Leopard. What OS do you have? (I know that the MPEG2 component that I used for Snow Leopard doesn't work in El Capitan although I didn't try hard to see if there were workarounds.)

(This is what you're using?)
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D2187Z/A/quicktime-mpeg-2-playback-component-for-mac-os-x

I'm on Mountain Lion, but I haven't tried to use the MPEG 2 yet, nothing to try it out on. However, the MPEG I downloaded is on this website.

The site offered by the person who uploaded the youtube video had a site, but it didn't work, so someone else offered the correct link.

Thanks for the link you sent. If the one I going to try as soon as my FireWire adapter arrives doesn't work, then I'll try
QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component for Mac OS X for $19.99.

Take a look at the youtube called "Installing MPGE2 Component"; the person shows how on his Mac.

Thanks,
LiveM for replying,
Patt

[doublepost=1454739136][/doublepost]
There is a Belkin 400 to 800 available at the Apple store.

You are likely correct, but I haven't had good experiences in the Apple Store. Way too much arrogance for me.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The YouTube video is from 2013 and the OS the person is using is pre-Yosemite OSX from the look of it. It looks like the software is the same as the one from Apple, except of course, there's an "alternative source" for the software. The YouTube video has comments from people as late as a few months ago and they seem to be able to make it work. His software (from 2009) also is newer than the one I have (2007). On the web it says there was an update in 2009, but I guess I wasn't aware of it at the time. So I have no idea if it will work for you. If it doesn't work, I think Handbrake (free) should be able to convert mpeg2 into mp4 which QuickTime or other popular video players can read.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
The YouTube video is from 2013 and the OS the person is using is pre-Yosemite OSX from the look of it. It looks like the software is the same as the one from Apple, except of course, there's an "alternative source" for the software. The YouTube video has comments from people as late as a few months ago and they seem to be able to make it work. His software (from 2009) also is newer than the one I have (2007). On the web it says there was an update in 2009, but I guess I wasn't aware of it at the time. So I have no idea if it will work for you. If it doesn't work, I think Handbrake (free) should be able to convert mpeg2 into mp4 which QuickTime or other popular video players can read.

Thanks so much, treekram, for this information. I'm a bit slow at times, but I'm very determined and people like you help me a lot; I don't say this lightly.

Patt

SpecFoto

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
So Cal
Or a box with a CableCard? It's how TiVo's work (but there is an OTA version also). The initial cost is high but I love my Tivo. Transferring video to my NAS is quite easy and you can use the app to log in and watch on mobile devices or your Mac. If you have Plex, it has a channel plugin to watch your Tivo content on almost anything.

I am new to Tivo and have a Roamio with a 1 HDMI out and 1 composite out. (There is an e-data port too, but for Tivo supported HDD only). How specifically do you transfer video from the Tivo the the Mac or NAS? And can this be done at higher HD settings and not 480P of the composite output?

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I am new to Tivo and have a Roamio with a 1 HDMI out and 1 composite out. (There is an e-data port too, but for Tivo supported HDD only). How specifically do you transfer video from the Tivo the the Mac or NAS? And can this be done at higher HD settings and not 480P of the composite output?

cTivo connects to your Tivo via WiFi/Bonjour so no need to be wired to the box itself. cTivo will decode and convert the Tivo recording into whatever file format and encoding specifics you want. Be sure to read that page I linked to before you download and install the app. It will answer many of the question you'll have. You'll also need your Tivo Media Access Key which can be found if you log into your account on the website or in the box's settings.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I use an external hauppage tuner that accepts a cable card and plugs in via USB. You effectively have to strip the DRM, more than likely, depending on what exactly you're recording and what softare you are using. From there you nwill need to convert the video to something you can transfer to the APple TV (or just stream it to the Apple TV from the computer). I personally just use chromecast for all of this since it's easy, and more importantly, super cheap.

SpecFoto

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
So Cal
cTivo connects to your Tivo via WiFi/Bonjour so no need to be wired to the box itself. cTivo will decode and convert the Tivo recording into whatever file format and encoding specifics you want. Be sure to read that page I linked to before you download and install the app. It will answer many of the question you'll have. You'll also need your Tivo Media Access Key which can be found if you log into your account on the website or in the box's settings.

Thank You!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.