how to transfer videos from SONY handycam to Mac Book

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dani287, Jan 2, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2013
    I have a Mac Book Pro with iOS 10.7.5 and a Sony Videocamera HDR XR550. I'd like to transfer all the videos from the camera to my MacBook. I prefer to do it with Thunderbolt. I do not wish to depend on iVideo. I'd like to have the videos as video files on the computer, e.g. some place in a folder in the finder.

I have several problems until now to do so. Is there someone who can give me an instruction or who can tell me where I can get such instruction?

Many thanks.
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Just a small correction, it is called OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, iOS is the operating system (OS) for iPhones and iPads and Apple TV and iPod touch.

Your camera has a USB port, which you can use to import footage into iMovie.
    Or you can just copy the contents of the SD card (either in an SD card reader or in the camera) to a folder on any HDD of your choice, but make sure to copy the complete card.
    For instance, if you shot a mugging or so, you copy the entire card to a folder called "date (your preference if ddmmyy or mmddyy or whatever) mugging location", thus it is easier to import into iMovie or another video editing application.

iVideo? Do you mean Firewire 800?

What exact problems?

3. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

Mar 19, 2008
    Warrington, UK
    Does the camcorder show on the Desktop as a hard disc? If so, just drag and drop into Finder.