How to turn iphone off when the screen is not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rob1980, Jan 27, 2010.

1. macrumors member

As per the title really.

I have an unresponsive screen on an iPhone 3G, I want to replace the screen but I cant turn it off.

Is there any other way to turn the iphone off without having to slide to power off?

2. macrumors 603

netdog

You have to reboot it first (by holding down both buttons until the white Apple appears) and then shut it down.

3. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Actually, just hold the home and power buttons for like 10 seconds and the phone will turn off.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, but when I hold the power and home buttons for ten seconds the phone goes to the apple logo then restarts to the lock screen where I cant do anything because the digitizer is faulty.

5. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry I got confused and thought you couldn't see the screen. Just hold home and power until it shuts off (about 7 secs).

6. macrumors 6502

What the above poster means is your should hold the home and sleep buttons down until the screen goes black, then immediately release. This will turn it off without rebooting. Holding them down a second longer will cause it to reboot.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Cheers worked a treat, now here's hoping the new screen works

8. macrumors newbie

How to turn iphone off

Hold and press down the Sleep/Wake button for few seconds. If you just pressed the button once, the screen will go dark but will not turn off your iPhone.
    You need to hold the button until you get a screen with “Red Arrow” at the top of the screen displaying “slide to power off.” But if have changed your mind then you can simply tap the cancel button which will appear at the bottom of the screen.
    To switch the device off, place your finger on the red arrow and slide it towards the right side.
    As your phone is shutting down you will see a spinning circle in the middle of screen. This will shut down your device.
    http://gm.kochar.com/post/how-to-turn-your-iphone-on-and-off.aspx

9. macrumors newbie

giant image on 4s screen

THANK YOU for this. It worked for me. My recurring problem: From time to time, my screen goes JUMBO size to the point where I can't get to the slide bar. Any idea why? Do I have a defective phone? The other iPhone users I know don't have this problem.

Thx.