How to turn off voice for menus?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by ddlindy, Mar 9, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2007
    Some how, no idea how it happened, but I got a weird voice that came on and drives me nuts by telling me each menu item the cursor passes over. I have searched thru the manual and help and can only find information about voice recognition. How do I turn off the voice?

Thanks for your help.

2. macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Voice Over.

Job done.
  3. Retired

May 16, 2006
    System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Turn off Voice Over
  4. Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    FYI: If you have no idea how you did chances are that it was the shortcut cmd+F5 which toggles it on/off.
  5. macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2005
    How to turn off voice for menus? and another glitch

os 10.4.11

What's happened to me is that my command-A, the select all keystroke, has become the keystroke that turns voiceover on and off. How did that happen? I don't know. Any feedback? Thanks, Rafael
  6. macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2005
    How to turn off voice for menus? and another glitch

I figured out how to turn the dysfunctional command-A off, in "Turn VoiceOver on or off", and back to Select all.

I went to System preferences>Keyboard and Mouse>Keyboard Shortcuts>Universal Access>Turn VoiceOver on or off. That box was checked _and_ the shortcut was shown as Command-A. How that shortcut got there I haven't a clue. I unchecked "Turn VoiceOver on or off" and I'm back in business, never to come back to these voices until I'm in my dotage.

Thanks for the help, and, again, for <forums.macrumors>.

If anyone knows how that shortcut changed (and I don't know what it was before), I'd be interested to know. There are two items on Keyboard Shortcuts window (and I just didn't want to mess with them): the plus and minus sign on the lower left, and the "Restore Defaults" on the right.
    Best, Rafael
  7. macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2009
    That's hilarious

hahahaha The voice keeps talking at me and driving me crazy! I relate. My mac also just started talking at me. It got severely annoying REAL FAST. :eek: This post helped me realize I accidentally pressed Cmd F5 to turn it on (and off now). Thanks (no more voices, phew)
  8. macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2010

""this helped me out alot thanxx. i thought id never fix it lol"":cool:
  9. macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2012
    thank the ****ing heavens, you saved me from that demonic ****ing robot voice :) :):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):))