How to Type Japanese on Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peteraigner, Jan 14, 2007.

1. peteraigner macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2006
    Hi there

SInce I need to thy Japanese from time to time, I'd like to know ow I can do this, without Switching the complete language of my OS to japanese

I need it to Type Words for looking them up in online dictionaries and also to playce orders overseas ^^

PLease help me, and sory if his thread is in the wrong section :)
  2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Ok...hopefully this helps, but since I've never had to actually type a non-roman alphabet language on my Mac, there maybe other steps you need to take.

First step, open Apple Menu > System Preferences > click International then click the Input Menu tab. The you want to put a check in the box next to Kotoeri and also check the scripts you want to use. You might also want to select the Character Palette, Keyboard viewer and Japanese Kana Palette at this time. Then check the little box at the bottom of the window "Show input menu in menu bar"...this will give you a little American flag when you are using English and a little japanese character when you are using one of the japanese character sets, the Character and Kana palette will also be available from this menu.

Hopefully this helps start you in the right direction...Good luck.
  3. peteraigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2006
    thx, i'lll try tp get it to work with your advice :) hopefully i can get it to work ^^

*it would just suck to do everything with my mac and just my japaneses work with windows laptop ^^*
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Once you have things set up, you'll want to switch to hiragana to type hiragana and from there, you can convert to kanji with a press of the space bar. If it doesn't give you the correct kanji, you'll need to press the space bar again and select from the list.