How to un-install OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dane D., Oct 15, 2004.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Can you un-install OS X on Titanium PowerBook G4 667Mhz. Came with OS 9/OS X, but is not the most stable computer. I have upgraded the OS X to 10.2.8, but I never use system X. It is used to drive a BetterLight Scanback camera system, using ViewFinder software through a Prismo31CB SCSI card. Experience lots of ViewFinder crashes. I have had discussions with the camera manufacturer and set the card up according to their settings. This seems to help for a while, but then the ViewFinder software starts crashing all over again. Also have a dual processor G4 867 with same OS configuration and is always crashing. We need to use OS 9 because certain printers (EPSON 5000 and 7000) don't have drivers for OS X.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Did you try dragging the system folder into the trash?

3. pncc macrumors regular

The best way to Uninstall is to backup and reformat. You can delete what is Finder visible in OS 9, but there are several directories and files that are invisible.

I don't know much about BetterLight products or what you have, but I can say this:

OS X Panther (10.3) uses the Gimp-Print Open Source print driver system that Does support the Epson 5000 and 7000 printers (at least somewhat).

ViewFinder software supports OS X.
    I have never heard of your SCSI card and can't find any info on it.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Careful here.. if the OP mistakes your post and drags their "System Folder" to the trash, no more OS 9, or at least, a broken startup. What wordmunger is alluding to is trashing the "System" folder. Along with:

Library
    Applications (NOT Applications (Mac OS 9))
    mach.sym
    mach.kernel
    private
    man
    bin
    sbin
    dev
    cores

And a host of others.

5. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wrong spelling, correct name of card is Pismo CB31 by Ratco systems. I thought there was more to it than trashing the system folder, thanks. Are there issues with running the two systems on one hard drive(startup drive)? I know in the past this was not the preferred way. Or I am just experiencing stuff that others aren't?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There are no "issues" with having OS X and OS 9 on the same hard drive. The only issues you might have are with clutter, and booted into OS 9, someone might remove something integral to OS X.

7. pncc macrumors regular

Correct spelling is Ratoc. It is difficult to provide support when I don't know what product you are talking about.

That product is not supported by OS X 10.2 or 10.3, at least the driver hasn't been updated since then.

I hate to see people downgrade to OS 9, but you may have to. Any chance on getting an upgrade to your camera hardware? Betterlight has USB2 based camera backs now that are fully OS X compatible.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My main point was, if you don't want something and you're not planning on using it, just delete it. The only issue is to make sure you don't delete something you need. If you forget to delete something, it's no big deal.

I disagree with pncc. Don't reinstall unless your system is causing problems. You may have lost some critical scsi driver or something.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, I gathered that. I was just making sure the OP didn't trash the wrong folder, as it can easily be misunderstood between System Folder and System folder.