how to undo a raid without losing data?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonywalker23, Jun 22, 2006.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2003
    i was just playing around with a spare hd i had in my powermac g4 and thought id take a stab at raid in the disc utility.

i set up an 80gb hd and made it into 2 = partitions. then i made a mirror raid out of them so it just shows up as one 40gb hd on the desktop.

how do i go about unding it so it shows up on the finder desktop as 2 40gb partitions without losing data. i thought i could in the disc utility app but it gave a warning saying all data would be lost.

2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2005
    As far as I know it's not possible reverting a partition with out losing data.
  3. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2005
    Is there any options is disk utility to break the raid, what you really want to do is say that one of the partitions has failed and therefore only use partition 1.... i.e. the reason for having raid zero.

There must be a way of doing this within disk partition, if it was seperate disks I'd recommend pulling one of them out! I only ever use hardware raid on Linux boxes at work and I just pull them out!

EDIT: Actually after reading this SoftRaid vs Apple RAID it sound like you can't do it with Apple Standard RAID..... maybe you can use SoftRaid but I don't know if it would work on an existing Apple RAID configuration..... and it costs $129!

Best advice...... get an external disk back-up a clone of your disk..... break the RAID.... re-install OS X and restore the backup!