how to uninstall Office?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrVegas, Jun 10, 2005.

1. MrVegas macrumors regular

I accidentally installed Microsoft Office to my Tiger desktop. Then I installed it properly on my hard drive. Can somebody tell me the step-by-step procedure to uninstall the one on the desktop?

I'm brand new to Mac's and green green green.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Just drag your Desktop installation folder to whereever you want it. There is no need to uninstall anything.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You can probably just take the Office folder on the desktop and drag it to trash and empty trash.

All the files not in the Office folder should be installed the same place on both tries, should therefore not have been duplicated and thus not cause any problems.

4. MrVegas thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. That's one of the big differences with Windoze, you have to be really careful to uninstall. If you just delete installed software, it leaves behind entries in the "registries" that can cause instability in the operating system...

I wonder why its OK to just drag to the trash? Is there no impact in OS X "registries?"

Thanks for teaching me ...

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Instead of having registries, OS X has libraries. There are two libraries, the system library and your user library. A library is basically just a folder with some text files in it, which are used to hold your settings.

The filenames in the library follow a pattern - com.company.product.plist. If you install two copies of Office, you'll still only have one com.microsoft.office.plist, so you'll be fine :)

NB: This is vastly oversimplified.