How to uninstall programs over mac???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wulliwolf, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Wulliwolf macrumors member

Wulliwolf

Hi i am newie in mac, and in windows always can remove programs in the control panel "add or remove sofware". The point is that in mac OSX i dont know how to remove sofware.

Thx is someone can help me.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Drag it to the Trash :)

Bit of an eye-opener there, I bet :p

3. cbetta macrumors regular

I like to use AppZapper. It searches for .plist files and other things that the program ever created and "zapps" those for you too.

PS: Does anyone know how AppZapper does this so quickly?

4. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Before you drag it to the trash type its name into spotlight and it may show you some associated stuff that can be deleted.

5. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Just to be a little more specific, open up the applications folder and drag w.e u don't want into the trash.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Conversely, I don't like to use AppZapper because if you decide to reinstall the app, you've lost all your settings.

7. cbetta macrumors regular

True. But sometimes that is what you want (when you created bad settings or something that wont work with the program). Luckily AppZapper lets you chose what to remove and what not.

The real advantage of AppZapper is when you are "trying out" programs. Before you find a program that might do what you want, you would normally have 4 or 5 extra files lying around. AppZapper keeps everything nice and clean.

8. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You can have AppZapper leave your settings files if you want. That is what the checkbox next to the files is for. Uncheck it to leave the file alone.

Picture 1.png

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The easiest and simplest way is to just drag it to the trash. Once you are more comfortable with what you are doing around your Mac you can start to use other ways of uninstalling like AppZapper as mentioned by other posters.

All AppZapper does is, as well as uninstalling the application, it also deletes the small files the application creates to remind itself what settings you use in the App. Like screen res etc. These are so small its almost trivial to remove them as well. Most people just trash the app they want to uninstall and leave the 'preference' files where they are. The advantage of this is if you reinstall the app you trashed your settings will be how you left them. The only draw back is over the years or if you install loads of apps then the 'preference' (.plist files) can mount up and take some disk space away. You would have to have a lot of apps installed for it to be noticeable though.

Hope this makes preference files and uninstalling a bit clearer for you. Some people like bombarding newbies with .plist removal techniques without identifying what they are and why they should remove them, if at all.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, u still need to use uninstall software or manually delete some files from other folders. Like....
    GARAGEBAND's "non-application folder" files take 2GB disk space.
    More and more I feel "just drag to the trash" is such a in-complete process for uninstalling softwares.

11. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Also, navigate to

/Library/Application Support

/Users/**username**/Library/Application Support

/Users/**username**/Library/Caches

And remove any of the folders with that apps name.

OS X does not leave files all over the place like Windows. Most apps just leave traces in those directories.

Odd occasion may have a folder in /Library/StartupItems.

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

That is true I forgot about that one!

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Drag to the trash for the most part -- but if the application comes with an uninstaller (rare), use it. These applications have probably installed a kernel extension (OSX modification), which should be removed, and the uninstaller is the only way to nab it.

14. Powerstroke2000 macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll bite...where do you find an 'uninstaller' for a program/application?

Thanks.

15. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If there is one (and usually there isn't), you might find it in the Applications folder, or on the app's menu.

I use App Cleaner, which is similar to App Zapper, but is freeware.