How to unsync iPhone Apps from iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thedza, Feb 20, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2012
    This topic has been mentioned in a long and confusing previous thread, which did not resolve - or seemingly understand - the issue.

I have an iPhone and a MacBook Air. The MBA has a small hard disk, in fact, only twice the size of my iPhone, so I try to keep it as free of data as possible. I have downloaded some apps to my phone, but not that many.

With the new iCloud backup system for phones, iTunes backing up becomes even more confusing than before.

I am backing up my phone to iCloud to prevent disasters and I synchronise my phone to iTunes for moving music/podcasts etc.

However, iTunes is now 'backing up' my iPhone apps to the computer. I don't want it to do this. Why? Because it has now copied all of my iPhone apps to a folder inside iTunes Media on my Mac - which is almost 2 GIGS. Even worse, I delete an app from my iPhone, I sync, but it's still in iTunes. I can't delete it so it's not even syncing properly anyway!

Obviously I just need to unsync apps from iTunes, but then I get the 'Delete all apps from phone?' dialogue. OF course I DON'T WANT TO DELETE ALL APPS FROM THE PHONE! I just want them off the Mac. There must be a way of doing this.

If not, does anybody know if I can simply delete the apps from the phone - as iTunes wants to do - and then unsync the iPhone and then re-download all of my iPhone apps using my Apple ID? Or will they be lost?

Having had an awful iCloud experience of inexplicably lost contacts already, I don't want to risk losing all the apps, but I DO want them out of my laptop's iTunes folder.

Appreciate any tips,