Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I have a green iPod mini, the first gen one. I just updated its software and had an interesting thought. When you update the software on the iPod, it tells you to unplug it and plug it back into a wall outlet. But the new iPod minis don't come with a wall outlet, so how will they update the software on them? Will they not require that step anymore?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
um, the wall socket thing is just for charging, not updating the firmware.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
varmit said:
um, the wall socket thing is just for charging, not updating the firmware.

No, when you update the firmware, it shows a picture on the iPod that is has to be connected to a wall outlet. I've tried just doing it through the computer but it doesn't work. Once it is connected to the wall outlet, it then goes through and updates the firmware. And I am quite aware that it is also for charging the battery.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmm...

That's a good question, I would assume the new iPod minis don't need that same update nor will Apple require it in the future.
Quite a good question though, as the same exact thing happened to me with the first gen one.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Good question. My 4G 20GB requires the same thing.

Anyone out there with a new mini want to try it for us?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Again...

The new models already shipped with this update...only the models which included wall chargers needed it.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
But they will probably come out with a newer firmwire for the Mini at some point, how do you put that on the new Mini's? That's my question.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
If its anything like the larger ipods it just needs power to update firmware - it can get it from powered usb/fw ports instead of ac adapters.

i found out the hard way - updated my 3g 20gb and nearly died when it wouldnt start. The nice people over at ipodlounge explained that i just had to plug it into the wall to get it going again :D

i did the recent update using my FW port on my PC and it worked nicely.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...no

wwooden said:
But they will probably come out with a newer firmwire for the Mini at some point, how do you put that on the new Mini's? That's my question.

My point is they will figure something else out. We are REALLY making an issue out of pure, unfounded speculation.

You REALLY think Apple will REQUIRE the purchase of a wall charger to update firmware?

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
So what iPods need this? My 20gig 4G has never asked me to plug it into the wall charger after a firmware update. At least I can't remember having to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.