How to update iPod mini software without wall charger?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wwooden, Mar 21, 2005.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I have a green iPod mini, the first gen one. I just updated its software and had an interesting thought. When you update the software on the iPod, it tells you to unplug it and plug it back into a wall outlet. But the new iPod minis don't come with a wall outlet, so how will they update the software on them? Will they not require that step anymore?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

um, the wall socket thing is just for charging, not updating the firmware.

3. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

No, when you update the firmware, it shows a picture on the iPod that is has to be connected to a wall outlet. I've tried just doing it through the computer but it doesn't work. Once it is connected to the wall outlet, it then goes through and updates the firmware. And I am quite aware that it is also for charging the battery.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmm...

That's a good question, I would assume the new iPod minis don't need that same update nor will Apple require it in the future.
    Quite a good question though, as the same exact thing happened to me with the first gen one.

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Good question. My 4G 20GB requires the same thing.

Anyone out there with a new mini want to try it for us?

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Again...

The new models already shipped with this update...only the models which included wall chargers needed it.

7. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

But they will probably come out with a newer firmwire for the Mini at some point, how do you put that on the new Mini's? That's my question.

8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

If its anything like the larger ipods it just needs power to update firmware - it can get it from powered usb/fw ports instead of ac adapters.

i found out the hard way - updated my 3g 20gb and nearly died when it wouldnt start. The nice people over at ipodlounge explained that i just had to plug it into the wall to get it going again :D

i did the recent update using my FW port on my PC and it worked nicely.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...no

My point is they will figure something else out. We are REALLY making an issue out of pure, unfounded speculation.

You REALLY think Apple will REQUIRE the purchase of a wall charger to update firmware?

10. Norouzi macrumors 6502

So what iPods need this? My 20gig 4G has never asked me to plug it into the wall charger after a firmware update. At least I can't remember having to do that.