How to update my serial number for iWork '08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ab2650, Oct 25, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2007
    Howdy all,

Seeing how cheap the iWork '08 family pack was compared to the single license, I went ahead and bought it even though I already had the single license. My thoughts were I'd use the family pack to install it on my 3 Macs at home (soon to be four) and give my single-user license away, or maybe sell it.

So on my MacPro, I trashed the iWork '08 folder, and popped in the Family Pack disc. It installed, but when I launch one of the apps and look at the "About" screen, I see my single user code - And I was never prompted to enter my new serial.

So I tried AppZapper and it certainly found a few more files and deleted them, but I get the same thing after installing iWork again. Is there anything else I can try? I'd really like to have all my systems at home use the Family Pack and get rid of the single user license.

P.S., anyone want to buy a single license of iWork '08? ;)
  2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2007
    Well I found out how to update the serial number myself, but for future posterity, I'll explain. With the help of spotlight, I found a few files that iWork '08 was using that AppZapper didn't get. What I did was:

1) Uninstall iWork '08 with AppZapper.
    2) Delete the file /Library/Preferences/
    3) Reinstall. It says upgrade, but on the first launch it prompts for the serial again.

I'm willing to bet that steps 1 and 3 aren't required as deleting the file and launching the app again will ask for the serial.

Update: Yup. I just experimented with deleting the plist and it does, in fact, prompt for the serial number again if the file is missing.
  3. macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2007
    I'm interested!

I have iWorks 06 and am trialling 08. How much would you like for your single user licence? It'd be a pin to pay full price for an upgrade.
    Many thanks
  4. macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't think Apple offers upgrade prices on iLife?
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2007
    Sorry to those asking; My single-user license has been spoken for.