How to update software in Mac OS X???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kaizer, Aug 12, 2003.

1. kaizer macrumors member

Hi everybody!

I've just switched few months ago and I have no complaints so far...

Now comes the problem. I 've downloaded some software from VersionTracker and it's getting outdated. I know that for system application, I can just click software update, but what about those software that we downloaded ourselves? Shall I do it manually from their website? If that's the case, what should I do with it? Just add in the newer version, or should I delete the old one?

Thanks for the enlightment!

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

version tracker

Apple Update only updates apple software and you system... just like any other system out ther.

If you have 3rd party software installed there are 3 ways to update.

1 - it updates its self, many programs go out and automaticly check for updates and prompt you to update

2 - do it manualy

3 - VersionTracker.com has a service/application that lets you list your applications you use and it will go out and check for updates for you for all your apps. I have peronsonaly never used it but I have heard good things about it.

Welcome to the club!

-evildead

3. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

..and in reply to your second question, I generally just replace the old app (or app folder) with the new one by dragging it from downloads to the application directory... simple.

jx