How to: Upgrade CD drive in G4 Tower?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by arsbanned, Mar 28, 2004.

1. arsbanned macrumors newbie

I opened my new (to me) G4 tower today for the first time thinking I'd quickly upgrade the CD to a burner and add some memory I have laying around. No problem on the memory, just added an additional DIMM to the open 4th slot.
    However, the CD drive is another story. Jumpin' Jehosephat! :D That looks like an all-day affair! I build PCs all the time and generally feel comfortable digging into the hardware, but could someone point me to some good docs on the procedure? It should be similar to the Blue and White G3 since they are essentially the same machine (Yikes mobo G4 350).

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

its very easy. I did it in 5-10min. remove front plastic. remove 6 screws. unplug data and power cables. put new drive in. replace screws. replace data and power cables. done!

3. arsbanned thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, people. You're right, it was very simple. I went to the Site Doraemon mentioned and had it done in 10 minutes. Now I can burn CDs! I put an LG (it's marked Hitachi/LG)burner in and it's supported by the Finder and iTunes. I haven't tried booting to it yet.
    While I had the case split I added a Seagate Barracuda 60 gig 7,200 RPM drive and added a 64 MB stick to beef up the RAM to 640.
    The disk utility allowed me to easily move the system over to my new drive and I'm now booting to that. Niiiice.
    Thanks for the help. :cool: