how to upgrade geforce3 in imac g4?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rrichy, Sep 22, 2004.

1. rrichy macrumors newbie

hi, what upgrades can i do to my geforce3 card in my 800mhz 512/60 superdrive iMac g4?
    and why does a dealer have to change the memory stick in other ram slot so i can have 1gb ram memory?
    thanks,rich

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

There have never been GeForce 3 in iMacs, and the graphics are non-upgradable (its probably a Geforce 2mx, or a 4mx). I believe there are two ram sticks in the iMac, one tat is user accesible and one that isn't. If your config is 256+256 you can replace one of them by yourself, but you will need to remove the present stick.
    It is possible to replace the non-user accesible with a little effort.
    Look around this forum or the net to find more info..

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

that second slot is a pain, it requires reapplying thermal paste and crazy amounts of screws. i;'d do it but i'm not sure about the average joe user.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is the below average user that'll end up not doing something that'll result in the machine suffering thermal shutdowns/failure.

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

There's only 8 screws to take out to get inside a Flat Panel G4 iMac. 4 for the bottom plate, and 4 for the base that the logic board is attached to. Yes, you will need to reapply some thermal paste on the thermal interface mating surfaces or else your iMac won't cool properly.

To me, its not really that hard to do, but I'm a technician, so I guess easy for me to say that. :)