Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
i just got an ibook g4...dint get the blue tooth card....some silly advice frm my freind....
how can i do it now?/

powerbookje

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2003
Belgium
well basicly you're "doomed"; you are forced to use a USB dongle now, and I can tell you it sucks to plug it in every time you want to use bluetooth. "good" advice from your friend, roflol!
I have built in BT in my 12" PB, and it rocks compared to my girlfriends ibook who uses a USB dongle... well, good luck! :)

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Yeah, I think the iBook's internal Bluetooth module is directly attached to the motherboard, and can only be installed on Build-To-Order iBooks.

I think it should really be designed as a user-installable module or just included with all iBooks. :confused: Apple's website doesn't really make it clear that if you don't order it built-in, you're never gonna get it. I'm sure you're not alone.

I first heard about this issue here.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
:eek:

Sounds like you might want to see if you can return your iBook. My iBook is en route but I made sure to upgrade everything that I couldn't get done (reasonably) later... which just means the bluetooth and the Hard Drive... but I maxed out the RAM too... the RAM I would've gotten elsewhere only saved me about 7 bucks without shipping... (I get an EDU discount)

Stinkysteve

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Would it be possible to have it installed at an Apple Service Center?
This would a nice feature for this machine... I bought it used, (for a week), and couldn't resist the price on this!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by jimthorn
Yeah, I think the iBook's internal Bluetooth module is directly attached to the motherboard, and can only be installed on Build-To-Order iBooks.

I think it should really be designed as a user-installable module or just included with all iBooks. :confused: Apple's website doesn't really make it clear that if you don't order it built-in, you're never gonna get it. I'm sure you're not alone.

I first heard about this issue here.
At least you didn't say soldered to the Motherboard like a few people have said (which it isn't).

In the PowerBooks/iBook/iMac it's located plugged into an internal USB connection and the antenna -- and usually located in hard to reach (aka warranty voiding) locations.

This is the Module for the new DDR PowerBook 15...

Attachments

• bluetooth module.jpg
    bluetooth module.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 705

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
What about iMac?

I have a flat panel iMac, is it also like the iBooks where you can't upgrade to an internal Bluetooth? Anyone know for sure?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Sun Baked
At least you didn't say soldered to the Motherboard like a few people have said (which it isn't).

In the PowerBooks/iBook/iMac it's located plugged into an internal USB connection and the antenna -- and usually located in hard to reach (aka warranty voiding) locations.

This is the Module for the new DDR PowerBook 15...
wow thanks for the info, i am one of those people who always said solder, just because apple made it clear that it can never be added. thats interesting to know. all he needs to find now is someone who will take theirs out (if thye have the balls) and then if he has the balls to put it in himself.

iJon

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: What about iMac?

Originally posted by TigerPRO
I have a flat panel iMac, is it also like the iBooks where you can't upgrade to an internal Bluetooth? Anyone know for sure?
Doesn't look like it's in a user accessible spot.

Apple shows it located under here on the USB 2.0 iMac...

Attachments

• bluetooth imac.jpg
    bluetooth imac.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 597
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.