How to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by brian0526, Nov 26, 2003.

1. brian0526 macrumors regular

I bought Panther yesterday and did the "Easy Install" last night. But, I seem to recall reading that for the cleanest install, I should have chosen the "Archive and Install" option.

1.) Is this true?
    2.) If I should re-install and choose the Archive option, where do I find detailed instructions on how to get all my preferences and application settings back the way they were. I'm pretty much of a Mac newbie. I understand this option will stick all of my settings in an Archive. But, the instructions that came with Panther don't tell me how to get things back the way they are now.

Thanks!
    Brian

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1) Yes.. however, downloading and installing 10.3.1 update may mitigate some of the Upgrade woes.

3. Noiseboy macrumors regular

Archive and install.

Quote if I should re-install and choose the Archive option, where do I find detailed instructions on how to get all my preferences and application settings back the way they were. I'm pretty much of a Mac newbie. I understand this option will stick all of my settings in an Archive. But, the instructions that came with Panther don't tell me how to get things back the way they are now.

If you choose to re-install (and I did because of a bunch of glitches) when you get to the page asking where to install X.3 click on the options button and select Archive and install. Just below those radio buttons is an option to preserve your current user settings including prefs which is checked by default (I think) If not make sure to check it. Continue with the install and afterwards your oringinal OS will be on your HD labeled 'Previous System'. Everthing should now be just as it was before.If anything is not as it should be in the new system you can refer back to the old one and exchange preferences in the user>library>preferences folder.
    That is perhaps a little simplistic and if you do notice any differences to how it used to be you could post again for specifc queries but it's pretty easy. Once you are happy with the way things are running you can dump the previous system in the trash.I have had to re-install a couple of times and have never had to restore settings from the previous system, it's all done automatically.