How to use 2 studio displays with G5??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nickmeister, Dec 27, 2005.

1. nickmeister macrumors newbie

I have 2 15" adc studio displays & I want to know how I can connect them both to my G5 powermac? I need to run both for use with my audio sequencer software etc.
    Do I need a splitter to connect them both? Can anyone explain??

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

A splitter won't work. You need two graphics card, or one with two ADC ports on it. Since you probably already have one, just buy another graphics card (make sure it will work in your G5) and you'll be set!

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Much easier than getting another graphics card: get a DVI -> ADC adapter...they run about $100 from Apple and don't require any mucking around inside the computer. If your other port is VGA, you can get VGA->DVI adapters really easily.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

VGA (machine) - DVI (monitor) isn't so easy - that's digital encoding. Not the same kettle of fish as extracting a VGA signal (monitor) from a DVI-I connector (machine) which already has the VGA signal present on particular pins.

DVI - ADC is relatively easy, because the digital signal is the same - the hassle with ADC monitors is that they are usually powered by the ADC cable, so you have to both convert the DVI plug to ADC, and also have a power source that will provide DC voltage to the ADC connector to run the monitor.

It may be simpler to just get a new LCD monitor for $200 and up, if you have a video card with ADC and DVI outputs or VGA and DVI outputs.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Wouldn't just getting another graphics card be easier than messing with adapters and converting the signal and such? Maybe not...seems easier to me though!

6. nickmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using the older type studio displays by the way. They are both run using the ADC connector not the DVI.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have to agree. It will probably be cheaper too.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Unless you have an amazing video card, won't it also be the better performance way? Have two nice video cards, and let each one own a monitor? :)

Of course, if you have that $1600 card from the Quad...then...well, I can see not wanting to afford two of *those* :eek: ;) :D

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Not that there's anything wrong with 15" LCD's but if I could afford a Quad G5, I wouldn't be using them. :)

10. nickmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

so this applies to the older apple studio displays, eg the ones that were compatible with the older G4's/cubes etc?

11. nickmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

what about the adc to dvi adapters/adc to vga etc? I have seen them but not sure which one I need? My G5 has an adc port which is being used for one display, the other port is DVI, so if I get an adapter which one will I need? I'm thinking adc to dvi??