How to use an iPod to install Tiger on a Mac without a DVD d...

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 17, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: Tips and How To's
    Link: How to use an iPod to install Tiger on a Mac without a DVD drive
    Description:: When Apple introduced Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger the installation disk included with the new operating system shipped on a single DVD. While most current Macs have a DVD Combo or Superdrive some older models only included a CD-ROM drive.

Here is how you can install Tiger on your Mac if you don�t have a DVD drive. All you need is a Firewire equipped iPod or a Firewire external hard drive and a friend who has a Mac with a DVD drive.

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2004
    funny how much usability you loose without firewire.
  3. macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
  4. macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
  5. macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    i am still mad that Apple stopped firewire-syncing with the iPod. just go ahead Apple and make those peecee users very very happy. angry loyal Apple users can be very very unfriendly.
  6. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2004
    So am I, as I just got given a "broken" dual 800 Quicksilver (family media box?), and thought I'd put a USB2 PCI card in it to speed up the 5G iPods video uploading. Two days later I'm still on USB1.1, because these G4's apparently have a start up, restart and sleep issue with some USB2 cards.

If FireWire support hadn't been removed, I'd never found this out! :(
  7. macrumors 6502a

Oct 24, 2002
    Greenville SC
    Yeah this site is just posting copy cat articles ... nothing new ... I can't understand why Macbytes posts news from it ... oh ... look ... they advertise here.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2003
    I'm saving this one. Travel overseas on business and hate taking the Tiger disk with me.