Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KompleX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
hello! i just noticed that my iPhone and mac mini will mirror each others wifi connection. i want the mini to use the faster 5ghz signal since the mini is right next to the wireless router, and the iPhone to use the 2ghz signal to take advantage of the broader range coverage around the house. if i change the network on the iPhone to use the 2ghz signal, it will do the same on the mac mini, and if i change it to the 5ghz signal on the mac mini, it will also change it to the 5ghz signal on the iPhone. how do i prevent this from happening? i want the iPhone on the 2ghz signal and the mac mini on the 5ghz.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
If you name them differently in the router settings, you can connect to whatever you want. Something like My Network and My Network 5G.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Or just log onto the other network with the iPhone. Usually they connect faster to 2.4 Ghz networks in my experience, so it will default to that.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Or just make the iPhone forget the 5Ghz network and the mini forget the 2 Ghz network (unless iCloud keychain does some funky stuff)..

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Or just make the iPhone forget the 5Ghz network and the mini forget the 2 Ghz network (unless iCloud keychain does some funky stuff)..
It shares the details between all the devices so it'll auto log in

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Any other reason why you are using 2 different ssid's? I stopped doing that cause my iPhone and Mac connect to the best signal automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.