HOW TO USE DS WIFI on IMAC!!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by longey, Feb 26, 2006.

1. longey macrumors newbie

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

i'm really confused. what are you trying to do?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The DS can connect to WiFi networks, but it doesn't support WPA. :rolleyes: So as a workaround, of nonsensical proportions, what Nintendo recommends is that you buy a USB dongle WiFi adapter, plug it into one of your computers, and use it to make a second sub-wifi network that runs via WEP. Heh. Nice. At least, that's what I understand that the adapter does. I think they sell a special one that perhaps has some additional precautions so that this inane procedure doesn't utterly compromise your network security.

I don't think the special adapter they sell to do this works on Apple hardware. So a workaround is to connect the Mac to a wired network, and then have it share that wired network, wirelessly, using a low-grade security mechanism that the DS can understand.

The link provides instructions on how to do that.

This thread, on the other hand, does little to enhance the safety of the Western World. ;)

4. woxel1 macrumors member

I got the DS' WIFI to work by sharing my lappy's ethernet connection through Airport (in the Sharing pane of System Preferences). So yeah, you don't need that incompatible dongle :cool:

5. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I was going to start a new thread asking about WiFi on an iMac but I'll ask here instead. I have a Netopia Cayman 3347w router. It is wireless but I have no Airport card so I am using it via ethernet. Can I still connect a DS to it wirelessly (I don't have a DS yet because I'm waiting for the Lite to come out) do I just need to enable internet sharing or what?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Check the router against Nintendo's list. The most likely answer is yes, assuming you're willing to set a weak level of security (WEP or nothing at all) on it.

7. FireArse macrumors 6502a

?!

Yea WEP isn't that secure - in fact people have been cracking it for a while now. But who cares?! As long as you're not buying stuff with your credit card and accessing top-security FBI files, you'll be fine!

Why do you need WPA to see Mario jump?!

Screw it - all my wireless access at home is unsecure. I really dont care. Wanna browse my network? All you'll see is shared iTunes libraries!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, yeah, concede your point on FBI files...but credit card? Are you kidding me? Of course I use mine online. :eek:

9. awesomehobbes macrumors newbie

I do that with my iBook, works great in order to play Mario Kart online.

10. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Well that is a bit of a problem as I would be using a credit card online to buy stuff. When the site would go into a secure mode when your purchasing something make the wireless connection more secure? If not I suppose I could just disable the wireless internet settings whenever I want to buy something.

11. therevolution macrumors 6502

Connections to SSL websites are still secure on an unencrpyted wireless network. As long as you're not sending your credit card number through an unsecured site, nobody sniffing your traffic is going to see it.

12. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Thanks thats good to know. I can shop in peace and play my DS at the same time!:p

13. FireArse macrumors 6502a

depends where u are...

Ok - well, as with most of Engineering, its a trade-off. If the guy is sharing through his internal iMac wireless - then he has no problems, cos he won't be buying stuff wit his credit card from his DS. He'd be mad not to do it from the iMac.

However (and i think this is where you're coming from and I see your point) if you're sharing this unsecure wireless (eg from a router) to both the iMac AND the DS it'll be up to you if you wanna do it over an unsecure wireless channel.

I still throw my credit card details over unsecured AP's. Sod it - someone's gotta be bloody determined to do it. hell, if I didn't buy the thing, the credit card company will still cover me. I dont mean to give the details out on purpose, cos we're talking about some arsehole fishing out my details.

If you're in a block of flats - then be careful, but here at home, 8 ppl MAX are in the range of my AP, of which 2 live outside this home. sod WPA, WEP and all that crap. :)

14. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

does anyone know if the DS lite will support WPA?

15. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

No I'm almost positive it only supports WEP, shame it won't give us the option of using a more secure wireless format though:(

16. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

are you talking about the DS that is out now, or the DS lite? i am well aware that the current DS doesn't support WPA, but i was asking if anyone knew if the DS lite would.

17. peharri macrumors 6502a

Neither the DS nor DS Lite directly support WEP or WPA. The networking stack is provided by the games themselves. It's those games that implement WEP, currently. So if a game comes out for either machine supporting WPA, it'll support it on both platforms.

Disclaimer: this is what I've garnered from reading the DS Linux forums. I don't work for Nintendo.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

And you shouldn't be using your credit card on unsecured sites, regardless of whether you're on a wired or wireless connection locally.

19. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares