How to use dual screen wallpaper in Mac os X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yklxcq, Mar 7, 2006.

1. yklxcq macrumors member

yklxcq

I have been to site like http://wallpaper.deviantart.com/, and in the multi-screen category i can actually find some nice wallpaper for dual screen; however, i have no idea how to do the set up so that they can be put into 2 screens, currently, it looks like 2 screens share the same wallpaper, can some one tell me how use those dual screen wallpapers?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Use the select tool in Photoshop to cut the picture in half with the two sections in the right aspect ratio of your screens. Save each half and apply them individually to the separate screens.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

If you mean how do you get a different image on each screen, and not how to make two different images (!), when you go to wallpaper in system preferences, a seperate selection window should appear in each screen, allowing you to choose an image for each one seperately.

5. brianlowe macrumors newbie

1 wallpaper across 2 monitors or 2 wallpapers

I understood "dual screen wallpaper" to be a single image stretched across 2 monitor screens (like I have on my PC at home).

When I try to get the same effect on my shiny new iMac with 2 monitors (at work) I find I need a separate image for each screen.

Can this be right?

6. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

Yes....that's right....and you can use the built-in Preview app to split the large image into two halves...you don't need Photoshop.

7. tylermcminn macrumors newbie

Dual Screen wallpaper solution

Open up System Preferences and go to Desktop & Screensaver. You'll see your normal options for the main screen and the secondary screen should have a window on it for options there. If not click under Window at the top of the page (main page).

Using Lion and works well. Good luck.

p-Tyler

8. Paul Graham macrumors regular

Paul Graham

Is this still the only way to do it folks?
    Im on ML now...

9. Lastmboy macrumors regular

I was using the app "Multiscape" to display a single image across both displays. You run it, then just drag the double wide image onto it. It makes the calculations and displays it correctly. It even worked properly when I had 3 displays. However, I have done something to break it, as I can't get it to work, anymore. You can drag an image onto it, and it calculates the split, but it doesn't actually change my wallpaper anymore. I'm not sure what made it stop working.

10. rotarypower101 macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Is there anything to take the place of Multiscape?

Need a app that will allow changing to different wallpapers without chopping them down and manipulating them if possible..

Its like duel monitor support is being neglected more and more with each new revision...

11. Lastmboy macrumors regular

I haven't seen anything yet. I'm still looking.

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

On Windows, if you want different wallpaper on two screens you are out of luck. On OSX, ever since I can remember, all you need to do is pick a separate image for each display. Opening display preferences brings up a dialog on each screen.

I don't know why ppl are missing multiscape. Preview is perfectly capable of joining, splitting or cropping images suitable for making it "look like" you have one continuous image going across two monitors. Furthermore, OS X allows you to set the relative positions of the 2 displays. You can have the tops aligned, bottoms aligned or anything in between. I really don't think that Apple has let us down when it comes to multi-screen support with one exception. "Full screen" apps display a lame texture on the second monitor rather than allow you to see other apps.

13. rotarypower101, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

rotarypower101 macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Directly because of why multiscape was built
    It takes a task and makes it very simple and streamlined.
    Apparently someone thought it was needed, because they graciously took the time to make a easy to use tool that used to work very well until 10.7

It seems like a obvious omission IMO, 2 screens 1 .png that could be displayed over both screens...

And while we are pissing and moaning, why no multi or expansion of dock support?

Top bar is helped with secondbar, but even that has some limitations apple again IMO would be nice if they address.

Full screen app, I dont even know where to begin with that?

I am sure their are some logical and logistical reasons why these issues are not addressed, but they sell the machine with 2 graphic ports on the back....
    Did they not assume people would then use both?

In these ways they have let us down, dont you think, those are fairly common issues with dual monitor suport?

The monitor orientation and location ability is fantastic! (Very applesque)
    For me personally though, I have never needed or found a use for it as of yet.
    Though I am sure many have.

14. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've used the monitor orientation quite a bit and I appreciate it now that I "center" my laptop between the edges of the slightly larger 1080p monitor sitting to its left. Now I no longer get "pointer trap" when I'm trying to get my cursor back onto my laptop from over on the larger monitor.

I experimented with secondbar or one of those other things that extended the menubar onto the second monitor. Like so many 3rd party things, I began to suspect it was causing problems and finally I let it go.

The only third party crutch I still hold onto is Totalfinder because my half dozen finder windows are now all tabs on a single finder window. And it's easy for me to find cut when I want it.

15. cskyleryoung macrumors newbie

Found an App for Multi Monitor Wallpapers

I used to use Multiscape for my dual monitors, and appreciated how easy it was to use. After a recent update it quit working. I looked around and found an app in the App Store called "Multi Monitor Wallpaper" that does the same thing as Multiscape with a few more options. It's $3, but well worth it for me so far.

Hope some one else finds this useful. Cheers!