How to use external moniter with Powerbook - more...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sybersport, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Sybersport macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2005
    is there a way to get my powerbook to connect to my dell 2005fpw and run at 1680x1050 resolution?

When I span, it works fine - but I want optimum resolution on the dell with the powerbook lid closed (or with the PB screen off, whichever.)

I tried the "close the lid, wait for sleep, plug in USB device" trick, but my PB won't wake up from sleep with the lid closed when I connect any devices.

I was assuming I just needed to upgrade the driver in the PB video card, but there are no drivers out there...

So can this be done? Or am I stuck spanning to get the 1680x1050 res.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    The PowerBook should wake from sleep with the lid closed if you have a display plugged in whenever you plug in a USB keyboard or mouse. If it doesn't do that, then I can't imagine what is wrong, since that's one of the core features built into the firmware of all PowerBooks.
  3. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    You are hooking the display up, going into the Display area of the System Preferences, and hitting the detect displays. Then there is the F7 button that allows you to toggle between spanning and Single External screen. Once you get it onto the External screen only, change the resolution to what you want, and hopefully it can go high enough. Also, what PB do you have and whats the video card that is in it? That info will help too.
  4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    One thing to remember, it will only work with its lid closed if it's plugged in to power. May seem kind of obvious to some, but it wasn't all that obvious the first time I tried.

But with the lid closed, yeah, plugging in power, and an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, it should wake right up when you press any key on the keyboard, or click the mouse.