How to use files from Sony Hard Disk Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Grasbak, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I did search and find similar threads but not sure they really helped me.....

My brother just got a camcorder for his school - sony DCR-SR90E (i think!).

I have connected it to my iMac and transfered the files but they do not play in quicktime although it registers as an mpeg...

How can I view them on the Mac? Ideally I want to convert to DV to use in iMovie. What options are there?

(I have Quicktime Pro, if that helps!)

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

3. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Rod Rod

Thought that might be the case. I had similar problems with a friends JVC HDD camcorder - althought the files on that one came across in 2 parts MODs and MOVs i think.

On the Sony - looks like it is just one file - will that be MPEG-2? In which case do I just need the quicktime component to convert?

4. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

ok - so I have downloaded streamclip and purchased the mpeg-2 component thingy for quicktime.

now when I drop a clip into streamclip it says i need to update the component - I cant see anywhere to do that....?

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'd use ffmpegX. It can read MPEG-2 and go right to DV.

http://www.ffmpegx.com

Beware, it is a bit tricky to use, but a few minutes reading the manual and other how-tos available on its website and you should be fine.

6. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

Feels like my purchase of the MPEG-2 component was a waste of money.....

Can anyone help me here? Streamclip tells me that I need to update the MPEG-2 component and even gives a link (althought that doesnt work).... is there an update? I presumed when I log into my apple account and download from Software Purchase, that it is the latest. Software Update says I am up to date.....

7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Have you restarted your machine since installing the MPEG2 playback component?

8. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks again Rod Rod. I will give that a try but I am sure it forced a restart after installing......

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

You're welcome. I wonder if MPEG Streamclip was installed before the MPEG2 playback component, and in any case whether the order or sequence in which they were installed makes any difference. Trashing MPEG Streamclip's preferences is another thing you may try.

10. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

One of those embarrassing moments......:eek:

I have discovered what was wrong..... when I downloaded the component the finder window opens and there are 2 folders..... because of the sizing on the screen the options were..

for quicktime 6.3
    for quicktime....intel macs

so i chose the first option, which didnt work.

I just downloaded again and expanded the finder window, the second option now says.....

for quicktime 6.4 and later and intel macs

sorry for wasting you time and thanks again Rod Rod!

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

You're welcome! I'm glad you got things working for you.

12. ozwold macrumors newbie

Great advice!

Just found this site... and what a relief (I'm pretty new to Macs, so still getting used to them!)!! Great site.

Bought a Sony SCR-SR50 just before my wedding a month ago and have been struggling with various freeware to convert all the video footage to use on the Mac so I can burn DVDs... Streamclip can't cope with bigger files, so thought I was really going to struggle with this.

ffmpegx is a godsend!:D Works a treat... now I will get a lot less grief from my new wife and relatives who want to see the DVD!!!

Thanks...

Oz

13. jdk824 macrumors newbie

QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component??

Oz, did you have to buy the QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component to make things work?

14. mfgroga11 macrumors newbie

Mac OSX can't see my SONY DCR SR42 camcorder

Hello, I have read all the threads here and installed quicktime 7 Pro, the MPEG2 Playback Component, MPEG Streamclip, and ffmpegx. They were all installed in the applications folder although possible not in the right order. Regardless - I feel like an idiot asking but can someone explain to me step by step how I pull a movie from my HDD camcorder onto my Mac. I have tried pulling it in thru iMovie, thru Quicktime Pro and merely looking to pull a movie to my desktop. The cable is good because I tried it on an IBM compatible and movies came over fine. Unfortunately I bought the camera to use with my Mac. Any help would sure be appreciated - this just all seems too hard. Mark

15. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Mark, if you are "merely looking to pull a movie to your desktop" all you need to do is drag and drop. The HDD cam should mount as a disk, you can find all the MPEG-2 files when you double click on it (i believe it is called "NO NAME")

If i recall, they won't play in QT, mine played fine as i have the codec, but I couldn't hear audio. VLC or MPlayer should be able to play it.

If you will be editing, you can use MPEG-Stream clip or ffmpegX to convert to DV. From there you can import to any NLE, and edit as normal.

Honestly if your going to be editing, you should take back the HDD cam and buy a mini-dv. I just went through this a few weeks ago when a relative bought me a SR-62... It is definalty a pain, and time consuming to convert each clip.

16. purplelocomotiv macrumors newbie

the process

As mentioned in other replies, the Sony HDD can mount just like any other HD. The camera instructions gives you the sequence to select "computer" from the touch screen. You'll still need the quicktime add on from Apple, "MPEG Quicktime Playback Component". Drag all the clips from the folder on the camcorder to a folder on your computer. (I've forgotten the name of the folder but it's there, poke around.) Drop each file onto "Streamclip" and export as DV from the File menu. Most settings will be correct including the aspect ration of 720 x 480. With the apple component you will be able to hear the audio and once they are converted to DV format you can simply drop them into the "clips" pane in iMovie and edit as usual. There is a price you pay in time for doing these conversions but it works. Another possibility (I haven't done it yet) is use Capty DVD/VCD2 from Pixella (http://www.pixela-1.com/). They have software for Sony and other HDD camcorders. Good luck to us all!

17. littlemissGTO macrumors member

littlemissGTO

I just picked up one of these camcorders. I downloaded the software mentioned in this thread. It works great except I lose the audio portion of the video.:mad: Is there a fix for this that you guys know about? Thanks for all help.