Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qltrjudy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Due to lack of service in area, had to terminate cell ph service. Have iPhone 4, and want to use as ipad. Verizon said this ph doesn't have sim card. I have read posts on forum on how to plug into iTunes etc....but, w/ no sim card, how can I go about this, so I can use the apps...Thank you

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
Due to lack of service in area, had to terminate cell ph service. Have iPhone 4, and want to use as ipad. Verizon said this ph doesn't have sim card. I have read posts on forum on how to plug into iTunes etc....but, w/ no sim card, how can I go about this, so I can use the apps...Thank you

Maybe if you leave it near Fukushima and come back in 10 years it will grow to the size of an iPad :D

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
What do you mean by "you want to use it as iPad"? Do you mean with a data plan, but no calling?

qltrjudy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I, thanks for reading my question. We would just like to be able to use the apps we have on it, if that is possible, with no plan. The area we live in don't have any cell phone service, for any supplier. That is why we had to terminate our Verizon service.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I, thanks for reading my question. We would just like to be able to use the apps we have on it, if that is possible, with no plan. The area we live in don't have any cell phone service, for any supplier. That is why we had to terminate our Verizon service.

You don't have to get specific but seriously....where the hell do you live?

(Sorry I know this post isn't helping).

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011

You can use it on your home WiFi network without the need of a service plan from Verizon or a sim card.

qltrjudy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
And hello to you, too, iSensei. I may be stupid, in tech issues, BUT it is really more stupid, not to ask a question when you want to find out from someone with intelligence and experience in the field. Perhaps you might benefit also, from some of the information that is given so freely. I appreciate it, myself...never ever to old to learn..:rolleyes:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
You can use all functions of the phone with the exception of anything requiring cellular data without service or a plan. Asking if you can use it as an iPad is like expecting a person to be able to grow a turtleneck.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
And hello to you, too, iSensei. I may be stupid, in tech issues, BUT it is really more stupid, not to ask a question when you want to find out from someone with intelligence and experience in the field. Perhaps you might benefit also, from some of the information that is given so freely. I appreciate it, myself...never ever to old to learn..:rolleyes:

Or, apparently, too young.

Braniff747SP

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Los Angeles, California, USA
The better way to phrase what the OP is saying is using the iPhone as an iPod Touch... That should be possible. You don't need a sim card for iPhone to work. Making it into an iPad though... I'd like to figure that one out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.