Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
I am using an iPhone 6S and running IOS 10.0.1 and want to set up the "Raise to Wake" feature. It does not exist on my phone even though I have the latest software release. Can someone tell me why not?

With a brand-new iOS operating system now available, many users are excited to delve into iOS 10's biggest and boldest changes, like an overhauled Messages app and a more personal space in Photos to relive past vacations and family get-togethers. However, before you even get to all of iOS 10's new features, you'll have to get used to its new lock screen mechanisms, which completely change the way the iPhone is unlocked moving forward.

iOS 10 brings about the first major overhaul to the lock screen since the iPhone launched in 2007, ditching the popular "Slide to Unlock" instruction on the bottom of the screen for a collection of new prompts that make it easier than ever take advantage of the lock screen. Prior to iOS 10, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus users in particular experienced some frustrations with the traditional method of unlocking the phone, as the faster Touch ID system would unlock "too quickly," causing users to miss notifications that might have been on the lock screen.

While slightly complex until you get the hang of it, iOS 10 streamlines this process so that you can still have your thumb placed on Touch ID when the iPhone wakes up via a new Raise to Wake feature on the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE, without immediately jumping past the lock screen. For more details on how to navigate the lock screen, interact with notifications, and unlock your iPhone, follow each set of instructions below.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use iOS 10's Redesigned Lock Screen
[doublepost=1474059732][/doublepost]
I see. Should have looked in your siggy.
I have the same problem. That feature does not exist on my iPhone and I am running the newest IOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am using an iPhone 6S and running IOS 10.0.1 and want to set up the "Raise to Wake" feature. It does not exist on my phone even though I have the latest software release. Can someone tell me why not?

[doublepost=1474059732][/doublepost]
I have the same problem. That feature does not exist on my iPhone and I am running the newest IOS.
You are sure you have the 6s and not just a 6?

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I honestly hate using the 'press to unlock', I'd like an option to revert back to the 'slide to unlock' method.

I'm not fond of it either but if we have to have it, I don't understand why I cannot do a double click on the home button to go straight to the home screen, on my iPod. Now I have to click. wait. and click.

sgiles1

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2008
Sooo.... any way to get slide-to-unlock back and disable this rise-to-wake feature that doesn't work 90% of the time? I couldn't care less about lock screen widgets, and if I have to use the phone left-handed (I don't have any finger prints of my left hand in the phone so I don't press the home button and unlock it while taking it out of my pocket meaning all my notifications are wiped from the lock screen) there's just no way to unlock the damn thing.

Honestly, how did Apple not come up with the same situation during testing?

There must be something wrong with your phone as my lift to wake works 100% of the time.

kimmen

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Norway
That's still not "slide to open."

In ios 8 I never 'slide'! (Same as ios 9) Why would I? It was always enough to hold the finger on the button!
Sliding was for the few instances Touch ID didn't work.

That said, I dont like the new ios 10 features; Unsecure and to complex lock screen, 'raise to wake' my screen when I dont want it to, widgets, circus and kindergarden in messages, Apple Music intruding om my mp3's, photos being done things to, so I wont be 'updating'.

What attracted me to Apple was the simple, yet comprehensive interface, the no non-sense sleek 'we give you exactly what you need, where you need it" approach.

Now it's more like: Lets see how much bloatware we can add before people react. Well I will keep my iphone 6 on iOS 8.3 and stay there as long as it holds. After that, who knows.

Last edited:

NapoleonIV

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
So I stupidly decided to ‘upgrade’ to iOS 10 on my iPhone 5s, and now there is now way to reply to iMessages from the lock screen, as far as I can tell, because that now requires 3D touch. This is essentially a downgrade.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I stupidly decided to ‘upgrade’ to iOS 10 on my iPhone 5s, and now there is now way to reply to iMessages from the lock screen, as far as I can tell, because that now requires 3D touch. This is essentially a downgrade.
Just swipe to the left on them and that should give you the options related to that (possibly behind the "View" selection).

NapoleonIV

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Just swipe to the left on them and that should give you the options related to that (possibly behind the "View" selection).
Thanks, I figured it out. It adds a step compared to iOS 9, where swiping gave the option to reply.

gothamcitydemon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2017

With a brand-new iOS operating system now available, many users are excited to delve into iOS 10's biggest and boldest changes, like an overhauled Messages app and a more personal space in Photos to relive past vacations and family get-togethers. However, before you even get to all of iOS 10's new features, you'll have to get used to its new lock screen mechanisms, which completely change the way the iPhone is unlocked moving forward.

iOS 10 brings about the first major overhaul to the lock screen since the iPhone launched in 2007, ditching the popular "Slide to Unlock" instruction on the bottom of the screen for a collection of new prompts that make it easier than ever take advantage of the lock screen. Prior to iOS 10, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus users in particular experienced some frustrations with the traditional method of unlocking the phone, as the faster Touch ID system would unlock "too quickly," causing users to miss notifications that might have been on the lock screen.

While slightly complex until you get the hang of it, iOS 10 streamlines this process so that you can still have your thumb placed on Touch ID when the iPhone wakes up via a new Raise to Wake feature on the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE, without immediately jumping past the lock screen. For more details on how to navigate the lock screen, interact with notifications, and unlock your iPhone, follow each set of instructions below.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use iOS 10's Redesigned Lock Screen
[doublepost=1491493032][/doublepost]I actually got my first ever iPhone in late January so I started with iOS.10, meaning I started off with Rich notifications. I personally love it, but my favorite was Instagram's. Lately though, for some reason my notifications have been acting funny: I can't see the photo posted and when I click on the notification or if I use the Rich notification options, they get rid of the rest of my Instagram notifications. Does anyone know why or how I could fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.