Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris650

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I downloaded Kindle App on iPad.

How do download free books from from those Kindle online library and read it from Kindle app withing iPad???

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
I downloaded Kindle App on iPad.

How do download free books from from those Kindle online library and read it from Kindle app withing iPad???

You have to have an Amazon.com account. For example you cannot get Kindle books as yet via Amazon UK or France. I have a feeling you may have to have one click purchasing enabled. Register your iPad with Kindle/Amazon Then make sure you select the correct download device in the purchase panel, as this usually defaults to your laptop or it certainly does in my case. I have generally found that the "Free-Books" app has a better selection than Kindle.

Wilson

cfs123

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
First you need an Amazon Account. Once that is done, then you can either click on the icon when you open the application that reads SHOP IN KINDLE STORE or you can go online from your computer.

Here is a link to some free books that Amazon has out. This is also the Kindle Store site:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=free+books&x=0&y=0&ih=6_2_1_0_1_0_0_0_0_1.112_84&fsc=-1

If you are logged onto Amazon while shopping and you click on a book, on the right hand side of the screen you will see that it reads try a smple or deliver to your Kindle on iPad. If logged in Amazon will actually have the name of your iPad already on the screen.

Hope this helps.

-cfs123

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
The Barnes & Noble eReader has free classics this week.

I use all four major readers and just shop around for the best price on a book. If they are all the same, I stay with iBooks.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
The Barnes & Noble eReader has free classics this week.

I use all four major readers and just shop around for the best price on a book. If they are all the same, I stay with iBooks.

Classic books are available for free nearly everywhere.

chris650

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
i have an amazon account, registered my kindle app here (no actual kindle)

how do i download from iPad? or do i need to download in desktop, then.....?????

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Go to the Amazon website and buy books there. You can buy it on your iPad through the web browser, or a desktop. But you have to buy it through amazon.com either way.

Then next time you open the app, it will sync your purchases automatically.

There's also a store link in the app itself that's pretty prominent. It launches Safari so you can buy items through there.

chris650

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Go to the Amazon website and buy books there. You can buy it on your iPad through the web browser, or a desktop. But you have to buy it through amazon.com either way.

Then next time you open the app, it will sync your purchases automatically.

There's also a store link in the app itself that's pretty prominent. It launches Safari so you can buy items through there.

got it

l0gan5

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Cambridge. UK
You have to have an Amazon.com account. For example you cannot get Kindle books as yet via Amazon UK or France. I have a feeling you may have to have one click purchasing enabled.....

Wilson

I for one, hope they don't bring out a Kindle store for the UK. I'm quite enjoying paying US prices for my ebooks!!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I for one, hope they don't bring out a Kindle store for the UK. I'm quite enjoying paying US prices for my ebooks!!

There already is a Kindle store for the UK, its just that the books are priced in $.

If you change your address to US, the US Kindle store will give you different pricing and often will have different authors and books available.

Europen kindle store likewise, again it's still priced in $ but often different to both US and UK stores.

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
If i just have an ipad and iphone, can i buy books via the kindle app, even though i dont have an actual kindle?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
If i just have an ipad and iphone, can i buy books via the kindle app, even though i dont have an actual kindle?

Amazon would sell you Kindle books on an Internet-connected refrigerator, if they could. Yes, as long as you have access to a Kindle reader app, be it on a mobile device, Mac, PC or the Kindle reader itself, you can buy books (and swap them between devices - provided they're all on one account). My wife and I have the newer Kindles and we gave my son the 1st gen when we got the new ones. All 3 are on my account and can share books (only on one device at a time) and they can be accessed from any other Kindle reader app on any device.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I think he means the books can only be on one Kindle at a time. An account can have other non-Kindle devices attached to it, which share them, but books can only be on one Kindle itself.

Right?

I have a Kindle coming in which I bought my bf as a present, since I do my reading on my iPad. I figured I would just attach it to my account since we have the same reading tastes. Doing so would let us all have the same books between my iPad and his Kindle without issue if I understand things correctly?

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Kindle's are confusing. Some books you can only have on one device at a time and other books you can have on 5 or 6 devices at a time. It depends on the publisher.

Taken from http://www.geardiary.com/2009/06/21/kindlegate-confusion-abounds-regarding-kindle-download-policy/ :

So Here Is The Bottom Line – (I think…)

According to the last customer representative spoke to…

You are able to redownload your books an unlimited number of times to any specific device.

Any one time the books can be on a finite number of devices. In most cases that means you can have the same book on six different devices.

Unfortunately the publishers decide how many licenses, that is devices, a book can be on at any one time. While most of the time that will be five or six different devices there will be times when it’s only one device.

At the present time there is no way to know how many devices can be licensed prior to buying the book.

According to the customer rep, there is a project to try to get that information available to the customer but it’s not yet available.

Finally, when you have reached a limit of six devices and you swap one older device for a new one, it does not automatically reset the number of licenses so you can add the new one. Amazon can release all of the licenses which will remove any given book from all of the devices and then allow you to re-download it that same number of times.

And once in a while you will find a book that does say how many devices you can sync it too at a time.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think he means the books can only be on one Kindle at a time. An account can have other non-Kindle devices attached to it, which share them, but books can only be on one Kindle itself.

Right?

That just doesn't sound right. I mean, imagine a family with two or more Kindles, and say the husband buys a book, which the wife wants to read also. The wife has to wait until the husband finishes with the book and deletes it off his Kindle before she can start reading? That just feels wrong...

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
That just doesn't sound right. I mean, imagine a family with two or more Kindles, and say the husband buys a book, which the wife wants to read also. The wife has to wait until the husband finishes with the book and deletes it off his Kindle before she can start reading? That just feels wrong...

Well if you only had one physical book you couldn't both be reading it at the same time, could you?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well if you only had one physical book you couldn't both be reading it at the same time, could you?

You do have a point. On the other hand, what's the point of whispersync if you can only have your books on one device at a time?

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
The last book I downloaded can be put on 5 devices at a time.

We have in our household 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and 2 Kindles. So far, all of my books are on all 6 devices at the same time. I've never run across a book (publisher) that restricted number of devices...

YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.