Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
requires 64bit processor.....come on Apple... simple feature that should be available on all devices that run ios 9.

F.lux can do it, so can you ;)
If they do support that on older devices, it means that there are more process in the background, and then those iPhone 4 user will complain that 9.3 slows down their device. Apple can't really make it right can it?

You are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't.

Apple does it and if it slows you down, it is planned obsloloscence, F.lux does it and if it slows your device people will assume that it is that app that is filled with bugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignatius345

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If they do support that on older devices, it means that there are more process in the background, and then those iPhone 4 user will complain that 9.3 slows down their device. Apple can't really make it right can it?

Apple does it and if it slows you down, it is planned obsloloscence, F.lux does it and if it slows your device people will assume that it is that app that is filled with bugs.

Probably a combination of the two.

To be honest, my 4S is so slow.....heck whats another process ;)

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015
Really wish Apple would allow more scheduling/automation of other settings besides just a couple things of their choosing (do not disturb, now this night shift setting).

A simple time/location based scheduling of the phone's volume settings would be infinitely more useful than this.
you know there's actually a switch on the side of your phone that allows you, very quickly, to mute the device whenever you need

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
you know there's actually a switch on the side of your phone that allows you, very quickly, to mute the device whenever you need
Thus the difference between automation and doing something manually (and remembering to do it).

Reactions: Ankaa

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you think this is actually going to help you sleep better then I have some other stuff I want to sell you too.
Not to worry, we'll take the word of actual scientific and medical research over opinions of random anonymous online users.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

flux does NOT slow down older devices.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Give us this option in OS X too. I spent too many nights at my desktop wondering why I'm wide awake..... :D
I'm sure thousands of others have already told you, but f.lux is already available for OS X.

https://justgetflux.com
[doublepost=1453013572][/doublepost]It is a beta after all, so this may be a bug but I have to re-enable Night Shift every day for some reason. Slightly annoying.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
It is a beta after all, so this may be a bug but I have to re-enable Night Shift every day for some reason.
There is no bug. From the very in-depth article you've just glanced through:

„With no schedule set, Night Shift mode will automatically turn off in the morning.“

coolertoggle.jpg

Thank you, MacRumors.​

Last edited:

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
There is no bug. From the very in-depth article you've just glanced through:

„With no schedule set, Night Shift mode will automatically turn off in the morning.“

coolertoggle.jpg

Thank you, MacRumors.​
I do have a schedule set...but I just realized I'm still an idiot. Whenever I would check, it would be during the day so the switch would be off. Bet when I check this evening after sunset, it will be on as it should be.

Either way, IMO, the Blue Light Reduction switch should always be turned on when a schedule is in place.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Either way, IMO, the Blue Light Reduction switch should always be turned on when a schedule is in place.

I hear you, but that would not be consistent with how Apple does it. The Do Not Disturb toggle moves around with the time of day as well.

A.

Reactions: kuwxman

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I do have a schedule set...but I just realized I'm still an idiot. Whenever I would check, it would be during the day so the switch would be off. Bet when I check this evening after sunset, it will be on as it should be.

That would make it seem like some Blue Light Reduction is happening even though it's actually not. Perhaps if they separated the switches in some way for scheduled and manual (as they do in Do Not Disturb) it might help with that in some way, but even the way that it is right now, it's not bad.

Reactions: kuwxman

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

Night Shift, a major new feature iOS 9.3, is a display-based setting that lets you "warm up" an iPhone or iPad's screen at night to cut down on blue light exposure. Similar to f.lux on the Mac, Night Shift will automatically change the color temperature of an iOS device's display to reflect the time of day.

With Night Shift, an iPhone or iPad screen will look bright white with a blue-based lighting scheme during the day, but as the sun sets, that bright white will fade into a warm yellow that's easier on your eyes and your circadian rhythm.

nightshift-1-800x449.jpg

What's the Deal With Blue Light?

Blue light, which is the light on the spectrum that makes our computer, tablet, and phone screens look so crisp and bright, is great during the day because it mimics a bright morning. Blue wavelengths wake us up, boost our attention, and let us know it's time to start the day.

At night, blue light is less desirable because that's the time when our bodies should be getting ready to wind down for sleep. Studies have shown that looking at a bright blue screen during the evening hours can confuse the body's biological clock and disrupt our natural circadian rhythm (the ~24-hour light and dark schedule everyone runs on) by suppressing melatonin production, making it harder to fall asleep. All light disrupts the circadian rhythm, but blue light has been proven to be the most disruptive.

On the Kelvin scale used to determine color temperature, an iPhone 6 display measures in at about 7100K, while an iPad Air 2 display is slightly warmer at 6900K. On the lighting spectrum, 6900K and 7100K blue light levels are similar to the light you would see on a bright, cloudy day outdoors. Blue light is also harder on the eyes, especially in an indoor room that's lit with a dimmer yellow light.

nightshiftkelvinchart2-800x462.jpg

In a nutshell, your iPhone and iPad might be keeping you up at night, and Apple's solution to that problem is Night Shift.

Activating Night Shift

Night Shift mode works by shifting the iPhone or iPad's display from a blue tint to a much more yellow tint, either on demand, automatically at sunrise and sunset, or on a custom user-set schedule. Night Shift is turned on in the Settings app.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use Night Shift Mode in iOS 9.3

Is setting it with sunrise and sunset only available to developers? When I tap on schedule I only have off and custom schedule on the public beta.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
They should have a toggle for this in the control centre thing (whatever that panel you pull up from the bottom is called)

Talukdar

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2015
It is quite easy to use this night shift mode. But I am not going to use this feature.Becasue I don't like orange color screen. Also it can help me only at the time of night,what about day time? That's why I am using screen protector which is providing same facilities 24*7. I am using "ocushield" screen protector.

EdwardSmith36

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2016
Though very often I use my iPhone at nights but when ever I use it, this thing comes to my mind for sure. Thank you so much for a brief explanation in above post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.