How to use OnyX

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by believo, Aug 25, 2004.

1. believo macrumors regular

believo

I am a recent switcher and I know that computer's need regular checking and system maintanence but I don't know how to set tests, etc. to run with osX, so someone told me to get OnyX, is this a a good tool and how exctly do u set times for test to run?
    thanks!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you are referring to the /etc/daily, /etc/weekly, /etc/monthly scripts, they are already set up as a cron job to run automatically. They run late at night to reduce user impact. If you don't plan on keeping your Mac on 24/7, then Cronnix is yet another GUI application you can use to change the entries in the system crontab. Or you can edit /etc/crontab via the CLI.

If you are referring to other "checking" and "maintenance", can you please elaborate?

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

OnyX is a great tool for automating cron tasks and doing some under the hood work.

First off- why do you feel you need to use it?
    It can cause as many problems as it fixes if used incorrectly. Apple choose to hide many of these Unix features for a reason.
    A regular reboot often takes care of these needs for most users anyway.

Disk Utility does an excellent repair of permimissions. As to WHEn to use it, any time you have installed applicatons, updates, etc. its wise to run Disk Utility to repair permissions.
    But unless you had a specific need in mind let OS X handle the under the hood stuff itself. Make sure to reboot your Mac every few weeks, as this will clear the temp files, logs, etc.

4. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

Well I always here that osX runs test late at night (as in post above), but my computer is asleep late at night. Do these tests still run while it sleeps?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They aren't tests. They are maintenance scripts. They do things like rotate and clear logs, remove unwanted temporary files that are hanging around.
    The scripts are /etc/daily, /etc/weekly, and /etc/monthly. You can look at them yourself.
    They do not run when the computer is asleep. Hence using Cronnix, or OnyX, or anacron (or others) being useful to move the scripts to a more appropriate time for you.