how to use postfix?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nothing96, Apr 9, 2004.

1. nothing96 macrumors member

I am little confused when I browse the web about
    "postfix enable" app.

basically, what I want is: to get the MAIL app to send some message to yahoo mail account, without open up the yahoo mail webpage. Then I can print it out when I go to univ.

I don't have smtp server.

I don't know whether I understand right or not.
    according to what I read if I enable the POSTFIX, and
    set the MAIL app to use the localhost SMTP, it will be okay..

Anyone have suggest or other method to achieve the goal.

cheer.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm not sure i'm reading your message correctly, so bear with me.

Postfix is a simplified way of turning on Panther's UNIX-level mail server functions. It really has nothing to do with Yahoo mail, it has to do with creating email accounts directly on your computer (a tricky concept).

If you simply want certain messages-- perhaps all addresses from a certain sender-- forwarded to a Yahoo email account, that's simple. Go into Preferences, click on Rules, and add a rule: if the sender contains ___, redirect message to ___. Simply add the criteria, and the email address to forward it to. Note that this will only work when Mail is running, so you'll need to leave it open for it to work.

paul

3. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I don't know if this is any help but... I found something really useful out thanks to this short thread. :)

I was without an SMTP server (unable to remotely access my paid remote server :( ) and was starting to get really p-o'd with webmail. So I simply type
    Code:
    sudu postfix start
    in terminal, enter my password, set my outgoing server in Mail as "localhost", and voilà, I can finally send emails with Mail. :cool: :cool:

This might sound trivial to some people, but I think it's really cool and useful. Boy do I love OS X! :D

--------------------

-nothing96

Now that I'm over with my new discovery, maybe I can (try and) answer your question:

*start postfix from the terminal;
    *open Mail and get to the prefs;
    *create an account in mail (I don't know if you need a valid e-mail adress and POP/IMAP server for it to work - I have access to a POP server);
    *set "outgoing server" to "localhost" (w/o quotes);
    *Bob's your uncle.

You can know send emails from your Mac with Mail to your yahoo account, or to anyone else for that matter.

Also, check out this app!

4. nothing96 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know where I mess up...

I don't know where I mess up... I try start the postfix.

and I write the new mail and it seems email is sent out.

but when i check my recipient mail. it doesn't show up, what might be the problem?

cheer.

5. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Do you have a copy of the sent message in the "sent" folder in Mail?
    Have you tried waiting a bit for the message to be delivered?
    Do your get a message from your POSTMASTER deamon?

I find this topic interesting & am going to investigate ;)

-------- continued.

What are you settings for your "localhost" outgoing server? Mine are standard with no authentification, no SSL & port 25.

6. nothing96 thread starter macrumors member

I still cannot figure it out.

the thing is :

I cannot find any sent folder, all I got is in, out, draft and trash.

till now, I cannot get the testing message for the recipient.

I mean, when I write new message, after click send,
    the mail just "being sent", but I cannot find where it goes.

Forgive my poor knowledge about mac,
    I don't know what is POSTMASTER?

Yeah, I also set no authenticate, 25 port.
    '

what might be the problem??

cheer.

7. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

How to you have your account set up in Mail? Is it a POP account? If not try using a POP account.

I actually created a "fictional" POP account in Mail and managed to send emails with it (See attached pic, sorry, it's in French, but the fields should be in the same place). I set my e-mail adress to an existing webmail adress I have.

IIRC POSTMASTER is the deamon (hidden application) that sends the mails. If it can't send the mail, it will send you a message back saying that it can't deliver the message (the mail is sent to the e-mail adress specified in your Mail account).

Hope this helps you. I'm off to bed now...

8. nothing96 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, I check your picture. I did set some pop server, which is actually works.

I just still cannot get it working, I mean the mail SEEMS to be mailed out. cause it dispear after awhile in he OUT box.

I just cannot get the mail.

cheer.

9. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

If you use postfix on your own machine, keep in mind that a lot of mail servers reject e-mails send by machines connected via DSL or dial-up lines. In that case, have postfix forward the e-mails to another SMTP server you have access to.

10. TDT macrumors member

Along with that, it's also worthy to note that if your e-mail server isn't set up correctly, people from outside your machine can connect in and use your e-mail server as an open-relay server. This is *bad* and is the primary reason why all the mail servers are rejected now (like crenz said). This particularly annoys me because I run my own server, and have been for about 4 years. It has never been open for people to connect to, but the entire subnet is now on some major blocklists because of the spam problem.

Very sad...but oh well, what crenz said is good to get past this.

11. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

And how would one do that?

12. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

FYI, the main reason dial-up IP addresses are usually blocked is that spammers a) use their own computer using dial-up so they can't be traced, or b) use worm-infected Windows computers to send out their spam. It is quite a pity; I wish things would be easier as well.

You would have to edit your postfix configuration (I think it's in /etc/postfix/main.cf) to specify an outgoing server. Also, the server hopefully needs you to authenticate yourself in some way or other (e.g. through POP-before-SMTP).

13. nothing96 thread starter macrumors member

I know what the security concerns about this kind of stuff.
    but I need at least get this mail server up, then I will consider how to setup the security stuff.

Anyway, I have to say, I give up now, don't have too much time on this.

cheer.