How to use SimplyRAR?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fgzhu88, Dec 20, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2008

I'm trying create 200 MB rar files out of a 700 + MB directory. When I check "split archive" and select "user defined" under the volume size dropdown and click create rar, it creates 500+ rar archives!!!! Nowhere does it ask me how big I want the volume size for "user defined"

Does anyone know how to use this app? I mean, I know how to alternatively archive into 200 mb parts (zip them, split & concat the zip file) but that requires the user to unarchive twice.

Thank you
  2. macrumors member

Jul 25, 2008
    I am stuck with this aswell, how do you create a 200MB rar file?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2008
    for the time being, I just select all the files, right click--> create archive of these x items (makes a .zip containing all the files you selected). And then use spit&concat to create zip.001, zip.002, ... , zip.00x .

It's more roundabout because the receiver has to unarchive twice, but it's an ok substitution for rars until I can find out how to do this.:mad:
  4. macrumors newbie

Nov 11, 2007
    I just got 500 + and growing 1.5 mb files. Does anyone have a solution to this? It was funny to watch for a while until it filled up all of my desktop, on my externals as well. :p
  5. macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2012
    same thing happened to me i got 600+ 1.5. I searched the whole program seems to be nothing. not even a help file when you click help. seems someone got lazy and forgot these 2 necessary things we need. but then again its free so dont complain. lol