How to verify factory unlock and non-jailbreak when buying used iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shurcooL, Dec 8, 2012.

1. shurcooL, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

macrumors 6502a

I've had an iPhone for 3 years, but I've never jailbroken mine. So I have no idea how it looks like when it is jailbroken.

If I'm buying someone's used iPhone, how can I tell that it's not jailbroken? Because if it's jailbroken, they can probably unlock it, but that unlock will only be temporary... I want to avoid that.

Also, if they say it's factory unlocked iPhone, how can I verify that? Is the only way to insert two different SIM cards and make sure it works with both, or is there an easier way?

2. macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Well for jailbreak, if its an A5+ with ios 6, it can't be jailbroken, and if there's a Cydia app or something, it is. Just restore it via iTunes and update to ios 6 and it'll get rid of any jailbreak.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

So the Cydia app is always there if it's jailbroken, there's no way to hide it, right?

4. macrumors newbie

Lefty29

When it comes to jailbreaking, there's always a way to do something, including hiding Cydia. Your best bet would be to hook it up to a computer and examine it with an app like iPhone Explorer to see if you have root access to the folders on the phone.