Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
NC
Does anyone know of a good way to view a bunch of photos without putting them into iPhoto? I know I can view them in the preview, but (and I hate to say this) I really like the photo viewing utility in WIN XP, how you can just double click a pic, then hit the arrow keys to scroll through all the pics in that folder!

Is there a way to do that with preview? Or some other way? :confused:

Thanks!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
d_saum said:
Does anyone know of a good way to view a bunch of photos without putting them into iPhoto? I know I can view them in the preview, but (and I hate to say this) I really like the photo viewing utility in WIN XP, how you can just double click a pic, then hit the arrow keys to scroll through all the pics in that folder!

Is there a way to do that with preview? Or some other way? :confused:

Thanks!
Preview can do it https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/166431/

B

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Hi. Just select all the pics at once and open them simultaneously. Then you'll be able to use the up and down arrows to "scroll" through them all. Simple and easy I think. (I won't hold it against you that you miss that windows thing, but this should help you out:) )

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
I'm not 100% sure what you're after (never seen the XP thing you're talking about), but...

You can select multiple images and load them all into Preview (Ctrl-Click and Open with Preview) and then step through them in preview.

Or, you can select multiple images in Finder, then Ctrl-Click and select Slideshow. If you move the mouse during the slideshow you'll get a control panel which will let you pause, step forward and back, etc.

Edit: wow! 3 replies in the time it took me to select my threads to read and then type the above. Oh well, what the others said re: Preview.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
NC
awesome! Thanks for the help! Its kind of funny, I tried it before, but not with ctrl clicking and open with preview. I just selected all and tried to open. Thanks again! ;)

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Apple really needs to simplify this process methinks. The slideshow function was a step in the right direction but it still needs work. You should just be able to click on a single pic then be able to click to other pictures within the same folder. Why hasn't Apple implemented this simple, and seemingly obvious, functionality?

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
NC
reh said:
I find JView (a free third-party app) much better than preview for viewing images.

JView you say? (scratches chin) Where might one find it? I suppose I could google it...lol. I'll have to check it out.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
d_saum said:
JView you say? (scratches chin) Where might one find it? I suppose I could google it...lol. I'll have to check it out.

JView can be found here.

liquidsense

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
I remember researching this same issue the other day, and all I came across were posts like these, suggesting that the OP highlight all the photos in a directory and view them in preview.

This might already be out there all over the place, but I thought it would be helpful for newbies like me. Once in a folder, just highlight a single picture, and click the eye button (quick look / slideshow). You can then use the arrow keys to scroll through all the pictures in the folder.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
I remember researching this same issue the other day, and all I came across were posts like these, suggesting that the OP highlight all the photos in a directory and view them in preview.

This might already be out there all over the place, but I thought it would be helpful for newbies like me. Once in a folder, just highlight a single picture, and click the eye button (quick look / slideshow). You can then use the arrow keys to scroll through all the pictures in the folder.

This is what I use, I find it quite elegant and quick.

BetentacledBrad

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
I'm afraid that liquidsense's contribution is actually a bit irrelevant: quick view is a Leopard feature, and the thread was started in 2006, long before Leopard was released. Hence, toneloco2881's complaint was actually entirely valid, and Apple addressed it in the next release of the OS (a year and a half later...). Of course, it is also true that this "simple, and seemingly obvious, functionality" was present in WinXP in 2001, so it does seem like Apple could have done the same in a bit less than the 6 years that they took...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.