How to wake iMac from sleep via internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thewhitehart, May 22, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Does anyone know if it's possible yet to wake an iMac from sleep via the internet? I'd like to use remote login via SSH to an iMac from an ibook, but it is quite useless unless I can wake the iMac from the internet.

2. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

u can use apple remote desktop to wake it i think

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I tried remote desktop, but I can only gain access if I disable sleep mode. I can subsequently put the computer to sleep via remote desktop, but I can't wake it back up. :(

4. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you have the 'Wake for Ethernet administrator access" box checked off in the Energy Saver options panel?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Yes. I'm able to wake the iMac remotely from my ibook when on the local private ip network using a program called "Wake on Lan". However, I do not know what ports, if any, can be forwarded by the wan ip to the local ip address to wake the iMac from anywhere on the internet in order to use SSH.

6. macrumors 65816

Darwin

It seems that for this to work you must be on the local subnet, when I am at home it works fine

When at university I have tried to wake my iMac from my PowerBook using a VPN but it doesn't seem to work either

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Using a program called "Wake on Lan", I have been successful waking the imac from my ibook while on the local subnet. The only problem is, after it wakes the computer, either at the login screen or the blank active user screen (when "require password to wake this computer from sleep" is checked), apple sharing fails to connect and I can't see the shared folders on the imac.

I'm totally at a loss at what port I should use to forward the so called 'magic packet' to my imac's local subnet address from the wan address.

Oh, if I were smart enough to switch to macs when I was attending Nottingham Uni, perhaps I would've solved this problem long ago... :D

8. macrumors newbie

I'm able to wake up our office machines over the internet when connected to our VPN by using this app:
    http://www.tc.umn.edu/~olve0003/wake550.html

You'll need the Ethernet ID (MAC address) of the machines you want to be able to wake up.

9. Melab, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

macrumors regular

I'm not using Apple Sharing or Wake On Lan.

If I make my Mac boot up using the internet (http://www.remotewakeup.com/) how can I then make it login to an account so I can start using LogMeIn which doesn't work if it is not running?