How to win (Pepsi-iTunes Contest)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jimsowden, Jan 26, 2005.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I just got back from my local super market with a winning pepsi in hand. Heres how to do it:

1.Tilt Bottle to an angle where you can see the most under the cap.
    2.This is what you have to look for. Pepsi spit them up so it would be harder this time, so how you have to look for two groups of two lines. I'll post pics later.

Note: I'm almost sure they made the loosers one line.
    You can also win a free Pepsi, I do not know what that looks like.

Peace

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Being a total Pepsi / iTunes bottle newb, I successfully (deliberately) picked up a winning bottle yesterday.

Here's how I did it: I held the bottle at some tilt where the high point of the Pepsi drink was about 1-1.5cm from the top. I then moved the bottle vertically up and down, while simultaneously turning it counter clockwise. Eventually I saw the word "Free," so I said woo hoo, and I got in line. :D

I'm sure there's an easier way, but I never played last year so I'm totally new at this. And that worked. ;) :D

There are 6-7 digits / letters on the top two lines, if you've won. Winning caps look like this:

#######
    #######
    F R E E
    S O N G

I saw someone with a losing cap too, but I can't remember what it looked like. I think it said "Please Play Again" with one word on each line.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i wish they'd do that comp here in the UK i could do with some more added sugar and a free song

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Some of the bottles here in the DC area seem to have a subtle changes to the ridged tops of the bottles that makes it harder to do the tilt for check for codes.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I've found the ones in the DC area to be basically as easy as they were the last time. I'm two for two, not counting this one I just got out of a soda machine. I mean, I'm not _that_ good.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

The 1 liter sized bottles are the easiest to see. I haven't missed yet (One time I had to pick a Buy 1 get 1 Free, but that was because the store only had two bottles left. That one and a loser.).

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Didn't we all learn how to do this last year during the contest.

jon

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

There are a lot of new people around here who have jumped on the iTunes/iPod bandwagon since last year's Pepsi promotion. I'm sure this is new information to many of them.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Morally isn't this just as bad as downloading songs off something like limewire?

You're technically cheating the system to get something for free.

10. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It would be immoral if I looked for a winner and then stole it. Or, if I opened them and put back the losers. I still pay for them like everybody else. This is more of a "no harm no foul" kind of deal in my book.

EDIT: also, there is the difference that the artist and the record company still get their money, where if you download form Limewire they don't. Maybe Pepsi has to kick in a few extra bucks, but they wouldn't run the promo if they weren't prepare to pay it out somehow. They are still profitting form this promo so everybody wins.

11. Bobboes macrumors newbie

yeah it definitly is just as legal as paying for a download off of iTunes, without the free song. The only difference is that you paid for the Pepsi, and you get a free "gift". Simple ;)

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

How do you tilt it without being caught on Camera? I walked into my local store this friday morning and the guy said to me "dont go to the pepsi section"

I did anyway lol... and lost :(

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The point I was making that in the last week or two there have been more bottles that are harder to read with the tilt method. Though with 114 or songs won out of 156+ bottles, and only 11 loosing ones. I am not doing too badly.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So far I have had no problems in any of the four or five stores that i regularly do my bottle hunt at.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good points. Add to that if Pepsi was that concerned about their financial exposure, they would have changed the caps this year.

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

How do you tilt it w/o it being obvious?

Like, do you bend down to look under or raise it high at the light so anyone can see?

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Bold and beautiful. Trying to hide my actions I think would put me a more risk of being accused of tampering.

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Who would care anyways. He isn't doing anything illegal and the gas station gets their money anyways.

jon

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Very good point. The 7-11 near work that I buy most of mine from seems to love it when I come by. I buy 6 to 12 bottles at a time. And they give me the 6 pack discount that none of the other 7-11's have unless I ask or show them the receipt from the main store I buy from.

The only looks I get are from customers sometimes.

I have no regrets doing the "tilt". It is not on the same tampering that people did with the cups at 7-11 last year. And maybe I have a different view, but last year the redemption of the caps was really poor IMO. And since I drink Pepsi, why shouldn't I take advantage of their failings as long as I do not destroy their products in the process?

20. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Just don't try tilting at Wal*Mart. They don't like it. :rolleyes: REALLY don't like it.

21. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Theres another reason why I hate walmart (grr i hate there comercials and they act like they have a friendly staff which most of the time they dont). But back on subject I have stoped doing it at my local meijers because its so busy and I think that there is this guy that is following me around the store so i left with out buying anything and I dont think i will be going there again anytime soon. But hey I have one 17 free songs and 3 of them I found on the ground at sport events.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thought you might enjoy this from the paper today:

Attached Files:

23. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

That is frickin hilarious. I love the Brains face in the picture on the right.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

25. MacHarne macrumors 6502

As long as you still buy the bottle, I find nothing wrong with it. It looks strange to passersby, but if you can take the grief then I say go for it.

It's ashaming though to see someone find a winner, write down the code, and then put the bottle back. That is despicable.