Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I just picked two ATV's works great for movies, netflix and music.
BUT I need to see the Lyrics on my TV so we can play karaoke.
How do you enable this feature?
Do I need to jailbreak?
Should I have purchased a Google ROKU device.

I love my Apples but these little annoyances really annoy me:<

Can anyone offer an idea?

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
try googling use apple tv for karaoke. hundreds of forum posts put there.
A friend of mine does it from his iPhone through AirPlay with the karaoke channel app.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Rokus aren't made by google, but anyway there's probably an iOS app that'll work. You can use airplay mirroring with it if necessary.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
No. No no, the idea is for my own personal library. Which would be used in my circle of friends, Also from time to time I may just want to see what the heck they are singing. I really enjoy that while I'm on the MBP using Minilyrics. I just want it in all my apple equipment.

----------

try googling use apple tv for karaoke. hundreds of forum posts put there.
A friend of mine does it from his iPhone through AirPlay with the karaoke channel app.

I do t want to air play, it's a clumsy alternative. It just doesn 't make sense that it doable on iPhone and Not on Apple TV or iPad

Jmhoey

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
Shop smart

One of the things that really irks me on these boards is people who complain Apple products don't do this or that, when they were never made to do those things. Pony up for a karaoke machine. Apple TV engineers did not set out to create a party device. It is a perfectly functional device that does everything it was designed to do. Maybe you should have researched products before dropping the cash on something blindly.

Each Apple product is designed for a purpose. If it doesn't fit your needs go buy something else. Stop complaining. If I need to move 2500 pounds of dirt I'm not going to run out and snap up a BMW coupe.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
No. No no, the idea is for my own personal library. Which would be used in my circle of friends, Also from time to time I may just want to see what the heck they are singing. I really enjoy that while I'm on the MBP using Minilyrics. I just want it in all my apple equipment.

----------

I do t want to air play, it's a clumsy alternative. It just doesn 't make sense that it doable on iPhone and Not on Apple TV or iPad

From what i can tell from my brief research, the karaoke channel on the roku is subscription base and does NOT use your personal music. You must select from the providers music selection. So it'd seem the flexibility of airplay, as already suggested, is probably the best solution available on the market for what you are trying to do.

In fact I'm not finding many, if any, karaoke solutions for a set top box that uses your own music. You want to provide a link or something?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
In fact I'm not finding many, if any, karaoke solutions for a set top box that uses your own music. You want to provide a link or something?

If you can jailbreak (it's not an ATV3) and run XBMC and your karaoke music uses SSA subtitles (like the one at http://www.auby.no/files/video_test..._vorbis_styled_and_unstyled_subs_suzumiya.mkv ), then, you can play them just fine.

Of course, subs burnt into the video itself is even easier and doesn't require any jailbreaking or special app - thought of it?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
If you can jailbreak (it's not an ATV3) and run XBMC and your karaoke music uses SSA subtitles (like the one at http://www.auby.no/files/video_test..._vorbis_styled_and_unstyled_subs_suzumiya.mkv ), then, you can play them just fine.

Of course, subs burnt into the video itself is even easier and doesn't require any jailbreaking or special app - thought of it?

True. Jailbroken. I was thinking more of commercial solutions. But, yes, jailbreaking would open up the possibilities.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
One thing you can do is go to YouTube and search for a karaoke version of whatever song you are interested in. For example, here is a karaoke version of Gangnam Style.

You can then use AirPlay to send the video, lyrics and all, to your TV using your Apple TV.

Oops, I see that others have made these suggestions already. Well, sorry if it's not what you were looking for, but I think AirPlay is your best solution (only solution?) for the Apple TV.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
One of the things that really irks me on these boards is people who complain Apple products don't do this or that, when they were never made to do those things. Pony up for a karaoke machine. Apple TV engineers did not set out to create a party device. It is a perfectly functional device that does everything it was designed to do. Maybe you should have researched products before dropping the cash on something blindly.

Each Apple product is designed for a purpose. If it doesn't fit your needs go buy something else. Stop complaining. If I need to move 2500 pounds of dirt I'm not going to run out and snap up a BMW coupe.

A bit of an over dramatization, but I get your point. The thing is, this is such a small easy to activate feature that would enhance the features of ATV. That shouldn't be asking too much, but no worries I didn't intend to have a war just a question.
Looks like JB Is the answer.

Peace to you all.

Harry Austin

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
Enable Lyrics on Apple TV

Well, for music, I tried Karaoke Sing2Learn mobile app on my Android. It was a beta release and showed great performance with accuracy in translation that can be seen as subtitles. As far as I know, the app will be in app stores this February with many integrated features for karaoke lovers and even those who want to learn English language. Try it and you will like it.

1622887_424162371060947_1926695266_n.jpg

Ryndom

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2014
Colorado
It's easy - and already there

Sound Hound sees the music you are playing, and gives you the Lyrics. I am mirroring my phone to the Apple TV, while playing music from that same phone through the regular music app. Sound Hound is open (and turned sideways). So often we try to make things complicated - that's really not the Apple Way - it just works, don't try so hard.
0P2a1K2g2r1U

image above - but not showing up, here's a link http://cl.ly/image/0P2a1K2g2r1U

Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I am mirroring my phone to the Apple TV, while playing music from that same phone through the regular music app. Sound Hound is open (and turned sideways).
With such a setup, you should be able to see lyrics on regular Music app's screen mirrored to your big screen as well. Why use Sound Hound then?

Smokeyak

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
Shop smart

[doublepost=1523729333][/doublepost]Like me I can’t remember word because of TBI and want to just sing along. What wrong with improving the Apple TV? I bought my Apple TV before I thought I wanted to do sing alongs with my kids. Either create a app the will do it or fix the the Apple TV is my solution for everyone. Have a Wonderful Day!!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Sound Hound sees the music you are playing, and gives you the Lyrics.

Are you playing from Apple Music or your own library? In Shazam If I play a song in my iPhone music library it does find it. But when I click on the link it just plays the Apple Music version, not my library version, for 30 seconds. I don't have an Apple Music subscription due to the poor sound quality.

I tried Soundhound and it was even worse. "Play CNCO Quisiera" in Siri gives me "play c and c okie sarah". Can't find a text box search anywhere. And it again gives just the 30 second Apple Music version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.