Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I'm sure this is known by many and has been posted before - but for those of you who want to zoom in on your entire screen just hold down "shift" and scroll if you're using a mouse, I presume the two-finger scroll on the trackpad of laptops works as well.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I'm sure this is known by many and has been posted before - but for those of you who want to zoom in on your entire screen just hold down "shift" and scroll if you're using a mouse, I presume the two-finger scroll on the trackpad of laptops works as well.

don't you have to hold down "ctrl"?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
How To Zoom In and Out On A Mac

That's not how I do it and that doesn't work for me.

1. Open system Preference
2. Click on System ->Universal Access Preference
3. Seeing Pane Click on Zoom: On radial button OR Command+Option+8 from outside the preferences
4. Click on Zoom Options...
5. Move sliders for Max & Min Zoom to the number 2
6. Below check ONLY the middle option Smooth images
7. Bottom set When zoomed in, the screen image moves: Only when the pointer reaches an edge
8.DONE Close preferences
9. When you want to zoom in simply press Command + Option simultaneously, then press the + (plus) key to zoom in and the - (minus) key to zoom back out. You get a certain level of zoom first then you can incrementally go further in and out pressing + or - (immediately left of the delete key).

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
With PowerBooks (I think it may work on MacBooks too), you can hold down "fn" and "ctrl" while two-finger scrolling and it zooms.

It's a cool, handy little hidden feature.

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
It's just 'ctrl' on my iBook G4.

Another way of doing it is to use PresentYourApps. It allows you to set a 'remove menubar +dock' command when launching certain applications. Good for productivity-freaks that don't want distractions.

What I don't like about the 'zoom' function is that it makes my screen blurry. I'm not sure how that works with the newer Intel-machines.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
Yes, Ctrl + scroll is a nice little feature. Would be even nicer if the screen resolution didn't degrade as you zoom in.

Here's another one: Ctrl + Alt + Command :)apple:) + 8. Try it! :D

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
That's not how I do it and that doesn't work for me.

1. Open system Preference
2. Click on System ->Universal Access Preference
3. Seeing Pane Click on Zoom: On radial button OR Command+Option+8 from outside the preferences
4. Click on Zoom Options...
5. Move sliders for Max & Min Zoom to the number 2
6. Below check ONLY the middle option Smooth images
7. Bottom set When zoomed in, the screen image moves: Only when the pointer reaches an edge
8.DONE Close preferences
9. When you want to zoom in simply press Command + Option simultaneously, then press the + (plus) key to zoom in and the - (minus) key to zoom back out. You get a certain level of zoom first then you can incrementally go further in and out pressing + or - (immediately left of the delete key).

This is exactly what I do and works like a charm. The zoom feature comes in handy more often than I would have thought

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
Ah yes, the smoothing is a definite plus to the longer method, I just tried it.

However, I think I still prefer Ctrl + scroll wheel, less to remember and more intuitive (for me at least).

UPDATE: Now I've turned smoothing on, it also smooths the zoom function with Ctrl + scroll wheel. A little less pixelation, a little more action... :)

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Sometime i forget to record with my hybrid.

I often go to abc.com to view my missed shows... Of course they do not offer full screen.

So I zoom in on the video and watch from my bed. Not HD, but it does not look to bad ;)

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Of course, holding down Control doesn't work if you have it turned off, for those of you who mentioned that. It's an option in mouse preferences.

elvtechie

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
what about in keynote?

I'm not sure where to post this but I'm desperate for help and this thread is the closest to an answer that I've been able to find! I'm new to using keynote for presentations that I present in front of crowds of up to 200 people. These zoom solutions you've offered here work great EXCEPT when I am in a keynote presentation and need to zoom in on something so the people in the back row can see it. Both power point and neo-office let me do this but I'd really like to use keynote if I can get this figured out. Does anybody know how I can accomplish what I'm trying to do?

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I'm not sure where to post this but I'm desperate for help and this thread is the closest to an answer that I've been able to find! I'm new to using keynote for presentations that I present in front of crowds of up to 200 people. These zoom solutions you've offered here work great EXCEPT when I am in a keynote presentation and need to zoom in on something so the people in the back row can see it. Both power point and neo-office let me do this but I'd really like to use keynote if I can get this figured out. Does anybody know how I can accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Have you tried looking in Keynote's preferences? Under the Slideshow tab, there's an option for "Allow Exposé, Dashboard, and others to use screen"

This will let Universal Access (which drives the zoom feature) work while in the presentation

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...

Guess what? Did you know that cmd+spacebar brings up spotlight which allows you to search your entire computer at once. Its the greatest.

:confused:

bkbeachlabs

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
I actually did a blog post on the screen zoom problem.

If you're looking for mountain lion, they've just moved the setting to a new place.

Easiest to show the explanation with pictures so just hit the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.