How tough is the PB 12"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mcpix, Sep 11, 2005.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

Okay, I've got my decision narrowed down to a 12" iBook and a 12" PB. Price and features aside, I was wondering if the PB 12" is as "dent prone" as some posters have made it seem.

I currently have a G3 iBook that I've dropped a couple of times and it still looks and works great. I don't plan on dropping my next computer, but will I still get dents in the PB 12" in day to day use (going through airport security, packing it in my backpack, taking it along on a photo shoot, etc.)

Thanks.

2. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Get a sleeve for it (I'm a fan of the Foofbag) for when you stick it in your backpack, keep it in the sleeve when you put it in your computer case, and don't let it get near small children, animals or drunken roommates.

A good friend of mine has had her 12" PowerBook for over a year, it's still in perfect condition, with no dents and no big scratches. It actually seems like my other friend's iBook scratches up a bit more.

3. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I have a 15" PB and I learned that it dents easily, the hard way. :eek: It may be hard to see in the pics, but I dropped my cell phone from maybe 8-10 inches above my PB while it was sitting on my desk. Left a nice little 1/4inch dent/scratch. I was angry! :mad:

But I definitely wouldnt let that be the deciding factor in a PB vs iBook. I love my PB and am glad I chose it over the iBook. I love my widescreen. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Yeh, I dropped...wait for it...a spoon on my PB, and it left a dent pretty much like the one pictured above.

It's better than my iBook though - no scratches on the top, but the bottom is scratched to hell from needing to work on rough surfaces. Luckily it is still at the bottom as so I can't see it in day to day working! :)

5. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

It made my heart sink when I dropped that phone. So stupid of me. :mad:

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The PB is pretty fragile, since it's made of aluminum. Can't even use bleach to disinfect it without leaving nasty marks. Apparently, bleach reacts to aluminum in terrible ways.

7. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

yeh, dont drop anything on a powerbook.
    Dont put a drink on the same desk.
    and to keep everything ticking, just treat it with respect. If your really clumsy and mistake prone, then get an ibook.

If you think you can treat a laptop as though its fragile, get a powerbook.

Beauty comes at the price of fragility

8. Bob_Barker macrumors regular

The aluminums are pretty vulnerable to dents and dings. My old 12" PowerBook fell out of my backpack onto carpet, while in a nice neoprene padded sleeve, and the case still got pretty torqued. The damage was only cosmetic, but it was tough to see. You need to be careful with the machine if the aesthetics matter to you.

9. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I dropped my 12" pb from about 3 feet onto ceramic tiles and it was fine bar a tiny scratch on the corner of the lid. I guess I was lucky, but they are tough enough.

I also carry it about every day in a rucksack and no problems.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Have both a 12" PB and a 12" iBook and I personally love using the iBook; I feel like I can breathe when I use/carry it around versus when I used the PB I felt like I was always holding my breath. :eek: :p My PB also got two minor scratches on the bottom (no biggie because no one would really see it) but I do feel like the iBook is more robust.

11. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Not very tough at all, it doesn't take a lot to cause a pretty sizeable dent. However, if the dent is in the right place, it only ends up being cosmetic, as the case will absorb most of the energy, leaving the innards of the computer functioning as expected.

MWP

12. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Would it kill'm to come up with a metal material that doesn't dent for the PB?

13. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

What metal doesnt dent? Steel? Yea, you carry around a steel laptop.... :rolleyes: