Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
USA
It seems to me that people in the macrumors forums are starting to shy away from the idea of a true video ipod at macworld. Other diehard ipod lovers are thinking there will be a new one. Post from both side are appearing in more random threads. This thread is for all to post there personal opinions about anything "true video ipod"

My biggest question for all is...

WILL THERE BE A NEW VIDEO IPOD AT MACWORLD, AND IF SO WHAT WILL IT BE LIKE, AND HOW WILL IT FIT INTO APPLE'S CURRENT SCHEME OF THINGS?

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
Are you expecting anything other than speculation? That's all anyone could provide here.

Edit: Okay, I just saw the part about asking people for their personal opinions.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Well, like the other 99.99% of people in the world, I don't know. Of course I hope there will be one, but we haven't been given much evidance that one even exists at all, let alone that it will be released at MW07. So honestly, I want it to happen, but I have no control or any clue about what will actually happen.

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
USA
Well, like the other 99.99% of people in the world, I don't know. Of course I hope there will be one, but we haven't been given much evidance that one even exists at all, let alone that it will be released at MW07. So honestly, I want it to happen, but I have no control or any clue about what will actually happen.

We kinda have had over a year of rumors and evidence. we've seen a few patents, the addition of a movie store to itunes that would call for an ipod with a larger screen and loads of other stuff.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah, I guess that's true. But we can't get all excited over a patent Apple made because half the time those never see the light of day.

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
USA
Yeah, I guess that's true. But we can't get all excited over a patent Apple made because half the time those never see the light of day.

I couldn't agree with you more. this leads me to my opinion that we likely won't see full screen, touchscreen video ipods. I think the only accomodation apple needs is a more movie friendly ipod. i don't know exactly how it will look, but ultimately, if itv is introduced, that means more movies are available on itunes. with all these movies, apple needs something more effective to play it on, other than the current video ipods. I think apple NEEDS to introduce a new ipod if they expect to sell a lot of movies. Most people want at least a 3-4 inch screen. 2.5 inches aint cuttin it. plus 100-120 gig would also be more effective.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
ehhh i dont think they'll release a TRUE vPod with the ability to actually watch a whole movie, but then again what do i know?

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
ehhh i dont think they'll release a TRUE vPod with the ability to actually watch a whole movie, but then again what do i know?

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Whatever it is, it'll be one of those things that at first, underwhelms, due to the nature of all the mockups and rumors over the last year. But upon further inspection, it will be an obvious "duh!" moment as we see that the product is an evolution of the current iPod. This is how it's been for the last several generations of the iPod, the nano and the shuffle. Everyone expected the shuffle to be some fancy device, but instead it was simple and when you look at it...you think, "It's so obvious, why didn't we think of that before". Same with the Nano, the Mac Pro, the iMac G5, etc. I find this pattern with almost every product update Apple has released in the last few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.