How U.S. Fell Under the Spell of 'Curveball'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Nov 20, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-curveball20nov20,0,1753730.story

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why believe anything those 'old' Europeans have to say? Bunch of weak-kneed appeasers.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i wish those guys had spoken up 2 1/2 years ago.

4. Sogo macrumors 6502

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps they didn't want their wives and families at risk.

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is a very important story. It shows that the Bush administration knew well before they stopped using the information that their most important source on WMD in Iraq was untrustworthy. The question is fast becoming what solid evidence, if any, did they have for pushing us to war. They used old unreliable evidence from before the inspectors left Iraq in the Clinton administration and a series of what they knew were either lies or wholly unreliable stories from sources within an Iraqi émigré community, all to justify this invasion.

A couple parts of this story that should be emphasized are the following,
    LA Times

Not only did they have no way to confirm his allegations, but they ignored those who questioned, even including proof from the UN inspectors that he was lying, in order to lay the ground work for an invasion they wanted regardless of the truth. ATM and crdean1 are you paying attention? :rolleyes:

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The evidence is really piling up, isn't it? Now it's not just "disgruntled former federal employees" and "liberal extremists". Now it's also foreigners. 'Course, you can't trust them ferriners, can you?

It just saddens me that all this didn't come out over a year ago.

Well, perhaps it wouldn't have made a difference. In the heat of the campaign, the Republican Noise Machine was ramped up way higher than it is even now, and I'm not sure the public was willing to hear the truth anyhow.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As far as I can tell, they never stopped. It's just that no one who could do anything was listening.