How unhealthy is your diet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I see my diet changing. One time I didn't care what I ate, but now at 25 I seem to care a lot more. I mean, I still eat whatever I want, but I eat smaller portions of it, and couple crappy, unhealthy food with a salad, just to balance things out.

I started eating McDonalds again, but I only do so if I need something quick, and this is very very rare. If I go and get something quick to eat, it's usually sushi rolls for cheap. :) I eat lots of asian food as well, which is generally fatty (I think), but meh, I also exercise a lot now, so that's ok. :)

(But I eat too much ice cream and snacks...)

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Who knows what it will do with respect to providing more years free of nasty problems, but mine cannot get much "better" compared to other available options ... it is limited to fruit, vegetables, tuna, chicken, some cereal, yogurt and salads with fat-free dressings. Once a week I will have some pasta. If nothing else, my cholesterol readings are now in the mid-140s and triglycerides are 72.

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Over the past year, my diet has greatly improved from what it used to be. I try to eat alot more veggies, and fruits. No more fast food, unless it's salad (with fat free dressing), or the occasional 5 piece nugget. One thing I can't get away from is the candy. Especially Chocolate! But it's good for you right?! :rolleyes: Atleast that's what I tell myself. Eating crappy foods just make me feel like crap. I've also made my meals smaller, and more spaced out, promoting a better metabolism.

4. Melkor macrumors 6502

My diet is terribly unhealthy, yet I'm still slightly underweight.

I basically eat whatever I want all the time. I eat like a kid would eat without parental control.

5. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Mine is a little on the unhealthy side.

When I was in high school, I always ate really well...oatmeal, tuna sandwich/chicken pita, w/ a fruit, water, and protien supplements, and spent 4 days a week in the weight room.

Now, I am 21, any my daily diet looks similar to this:

Breakfast: Cereal

Lunch: Pizza (sometimes 2 slices) or chili or other soup

Dinner: Burrito, taco, or double cheeseburger

My diet has been this way ever since I started college.

The funny thing is, I have not put on any additional weight.

Sooner or later, I know my luck will run out, and getting back to the gym is something I really really wish I could do. So busy though :(

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I eat reasonably healthy food (although not enough fruit), but I eat too much of it. I'm a little overweight. I weight about 175-180 (I'm 6'1"), but for my frame and fitness level I should probably weight 165-170. Last night I binged on (low sodium) crackers and peanut butter before going to sleep. I also should cut down on cheap fillers and add more substantive food like even more veggies now that my wife and I are done with school and have full-time jobs. We can afford to eat even better now (even though we never really were willing to each cheaply).

7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Mine is unhealthy. Mostly canned food, dehydrated food (ramin type, cup-a-noodles and such) and some fast food. I'm a bad cook and a bit lazy so I eat whatever is easy to prepare. I try and choke down some vegatables at least once a day. I like meat, cheese, bread. Veggies just don't do it for me but I'm trying. I force myself to eat steamed veggies but they just taste bland.

On the plus side, most of what I eat has so many artificial preservatives that they won't have to embalm me when I die. I'll look fabulous for a thousand years! :D

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Wait till you it thirty. ;)

9. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Just to give you guys some insite to eat right. I had some blood work done the other day and eveything was haywire.

HDL to low
    LDL way high
    Triglycerides way high
    Blood Sugar way high
    Blood Pressure way high

So, basically I have to eat right now. I'm a stocky guy but have always carried my weight well. I'm only 28 and showing the beginnings of heart disease and type II diabeties. Eat right guys cause it will screw you in the end.

I'm going toe to toe with the grimm reaper and I plan on winning.

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

lol I know, if I continue this, it could get bad lol

Once I get out of school and have some free evenings, I'll be able to get back in the gym and focus more on healthy eating.

(or so I hope) :p

11. selloutvixen macrumors member

selloutvixen

My diet HAS to be low acid, because I have an ulcer, but I've also tried to keep it as low fat/low carb as possible.

Breakfast: Usually some high-fiber cereal with 1% milk, or plain oatmeal.

Lunch: During the week it's one peanut butter (just peanut butter) sandwich and a sliced pear. On the weekends, who knows.

Dinner: Varies. Usually chicken without the skin, brocoli, and corn or mashed potatoes. Sometimes I throw some lean steak in there, or every once in a while I have tacos. I'm not a big fish fan, though I probably should be eating more of that.

It's rare that I eat eggs, any other fruit other than a pear, junk (though it's been known to happen every once in a while), chocolate, or restaurant/fast food. When I DO get fast food, it's usually Quiznos or Fresh City. My last blood test (last week) was phenomenal.

About a year ago, it was the exact opposite! I had very high cholesterol. I used to skip breakfast, eat a BBQ chicken wrap or chili for lunch, and lean cuisines for dinner, or order out. My doctor FREAKED out and scared the crap out of me to change, and I did. :)

12. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I try to eat very healthy but sometimes I may feel depressed so I go out and by tonnes of chocolate etc and just stuff my face. other times I don't want to touch anything bad and can go weeks without eating anything bad. during exams I feel as if I can't be bothered to cook or haven't got time to go to the supermarket and so I just eat takeaways. My weight goes up an down as a result. I hand my dissertation in this monday, I know I will stuff my face with chocolate and then will be really healthy for a couple of months until 1)I'm depressed or 2) I have exams again.

I also go through stages where I just want to eat food and so only have a few bites in a day, I then loose loads of weight.

13. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

My husband and I try to eat mostly healthy with the occasional splurge. We rarely eat red meat--even substituting ground beef with low-fat ground turkey. Mostly, it's whole cereals, oatmeals, foods with flaxseed, beans, whole grain pastas, salads, homemade vegetarian (sometimes meat) tacos, homemade pizzas (healthier with less cheese and oils and more veggies), chicken and a middle eastern dish with hummus, olives, onions, tomatoes, feta and whole wheat pita (mmmmm....)

Since reading several articles on hydrogenated fats and high fructose sugars, I've also started paying more attention to food labels when we go shopping. No more regular peanut butter (only natural), and significantly less soda, syrups (again, unless their either light or natural), and processed foods. The hubby isn't too happy about my general shift towards the natural and sometimes worse-tasting foods, but I just keep telling him that I'm trying to keep him around for a while longer. :D

One thing that looks promising is that Giant food stores are now carrying a generic brand of organic and natural foods...

Although, he loves his ice cream and I love my chocolate....

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

perfect in every way bar one fact, i drink very very very little water, litterally right now at 17:14 i havent drunk a drop in about 22 hours and that was a small glass of pinapple juice.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My diet has massively improved over the past couple of years. Haven't had a Macdonalds in years, never going to again. I'm done with bad food. I'm only 20 so hopefully there's no lasting damage. My main choice of meal now is a kind of salad. Sweetcorn, chicken, sliced ham (little), mayonnaise, lettuce. Nowt much but I like it. I dont have microwave foods... urgh. what they put in them is just nasty (thanks Jamie Oliver). I have the occasional chocolate bar but theres nothing bad in them, infact when my dad was in his marathon years he'd eat piles of Pasta Carbonara, Bolognese and Mars Bars! Must the energy or something.

I do drink lots of mineral water and pure/fresh orange juice. Mainly to stop mouth ulcers, I find mineral water and vitamin C just stops them all together.

Just wanna keep as healthy as I can. no drinking, no smoking. I'm slowly doing marathon training. Want to do some big runs in the future. whats it called? Giga Marathon or something. That'd be alright.

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Well I live on a college campus so it is hard to eat healthy all the time. I probably eat really bad because I am constantly snacking on things that are do not have the best nutritional facts. But I have yet to gain weight and work out every so often. I still need to change how I eat though.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm proud of my current diet. I used to eat junk food all the time, drink pop/soda, etc. but completely changed my diet and lifestyle around about 3-4 years ago. I started going to the gym (had never gone before in my life) and started eating much better. Now, I am in the best shape of my life, I have endless energy, I lost 35 pounds, my allergies, asthma and skin conditions cleared up (ironically I stopped taking all medications and things improved, stupid dcotors...), and I feel amazing.

People really need to realize that without your health, you have nothing. Your body is the only one you have, why would you want to abuse it? And it's not hard to eat healthy either. Go to a Subway instead of a MacDonald's (be careful what you get at Subway though!), eat a piece of fruit as a snack instead of a chocolate bar, drink orange juice instead of Coke, eat smaller meals throughout the day and don't starve yourself - I could go on and on.

And of course I treat myself as well. But balance is the key - everything in moderation, I always say.

I could go on and on... if anyone would like diet/health advice along these lines, PM me and I'd be happy to help anyone out or answer any questions. :cool:

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, your body needs about 8 glasses of water a day to function properly. If you wait until you're thirsty to have a drink, it's already too late - thirst is a sign of dehydration, and you want to avoid having that feeling as much as possible.

On that topic, many people mstake thirst for hunger as well. They feel "hungry", yet a glass of water is what they actually need. Instead, many people unnecessarily gorge themselves on food and bad snacks, which only makes the problem worse.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i don't get thirsty i just realize I'm no longer able to do anything and stagger over to get something to drink.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, that's probably a sign you've waited too long as well... :p ;)

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm very mindful of what i eat. I try to stay away from the fast food but bread and cheese is my soft spot....well i do the gym often and i'm watching my diet so i'm doing good.

Bless

22. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I try to prevent dehydration by keeping a 1L Nalgene bottle at my desk where I work. It's great because I don't have to keep going to the fridge for a glass of water (don't like really cold water anyway)--it's just there when I need/want it.

I agree with ~Shard's~ comments about the kinds of fluids to drink. The stuff in sodas and processed drinks is just no good--even the diet sodas (which taste terrible anyway). Stick with mostly water, some juice, and milk (if you can stomach it). Maybe the occasional herbal tea.

Coffee and the other teas are out for me. I think coffee is dangerous these days--especially the special coffees with all the creams, sugars, and syrups. So many calories and people have like 4-5 of them a day (at least the people in my old office did). And it's not hard to feed the habit with so many coffee shops--be it Starbucks, 7Eleven, Dunkin' Donuts, Carabou Coffee or whatever--all over the place. I am convinced to this day that coffee is a definite contributing factor to people's weight and bad teeth.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

oh and the only exercize i get is cycling to school and back (3 miles up and down hills) 4.5 days a week.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Very.

25. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

My old co-worker used to say that food was a way to get cheese into her mouth. I'd have to agree with that. Cheese is a definite soft spot for me, too, and it's sometimes hard not to want to douse everything I eat in cheese. I prefer the harder and/or saltier cheeses along with a good swiss, Jarlesburg or smoked cheese.

Oh, and I forgot my other weakness... Tostitos lime chips, but I've been very good for the last 1.5 years in not buying them. :D