How was it for you Jaguar >> Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jrober, Oct 20, 2004.

1. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

My long suffering non tech wife has the dubious delight of upgrading the iMac G3 600Mhz at home from Jaguar to Panther so we can iChat.

I will be providing telephone support from here but I wanted to know from those who have done it before what is it like? Is it very easy? Anything I should know before she says "is it supposed to do that!"?

When I did OS9 to Jaguar it was very simple.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

If OS9 to Jaguar was simple, then why are you worrying about Jaguar to Panther?

3. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

Because as I said it is my non tech wife who will do this with me 1000+ miles away providing phone support.

What was your experience?

4. mms macrumors 6502a

Well first, if you're doing a clean install (which I recommend), you would need to have a way to back up all the data. That, I think, might be one of the tougher parts of the install. I also believe that you would need to deauthorize any iTunes accounts prior to a reformat. The Apple Installer is pretty user-friendly and the reformat/install should go pretty smoothly.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I did not do a fresh install, and had absolutely no issues with upgrading my PowerBook. You can always do a fresh re-install when you get home.

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Can't say that I've upgraded from Jaguar to Panther myself, as my 'book shipped with Panther. I have heard from friends and read in quite a few articles that the new "Archive & Install" is only recommended if you have no other way to transfer files from your old OS to the new. A clean install is usually recommended, and is what I always perform on this when I clean it out every half a year, as well as my PC, when I clean it out every half a week. :D Good luck with it all though, hope it results in a happy misses back at the clubhouse. (lol those enzyte commercials are too funny...) ;)

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I did the fastest, easiest upgrade I could on my G5 PowerMac, my G4 iMac, and my 400MHz G3 PowerBook. In all cases, it worked flawlessly. No need for a "clean" install.

If possible, I'd recommend telling her how to back up some of the important files, but of course that's good advice no matter what you're going to do. But I wouldn't worry about it. Odds are very much that she'll have no problems whatsoever.

8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

flawless but not orgasmic. OS9 to 10.0 was like ripping your fingernails out with a pair of pliers; fascinating, but less than helpful. Best jump is OS9 to 10.2.8, then to 10.3.X.
    1000 miles away? That's nothing, because "Insert CD, Install" can be done by a monkey post six-pack. No offense to the wife, she's no monkey.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Best description of how easy a Mac is to use I have ever heard. :)

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My experiences were good. My older machine, a PowerMac G3/400 went through an Update installation and had absolutely no problems. My dual G4/800 also had an Update installation and had a slight problem with the firewall thinking another was active. There was a simple fix.

11. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

Guys,

Thanks for the comforting advice, I will be instructing the Monkey sorry Wife to down said six pack, Insert CD and Install.

John

12. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

Hurrah

Guys & Gals,

Thursday night instruction given, followed and Wife is very happy with Panther, Painless upgrade no problems.

John

Also big bonus six pack remains un opened!

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

The transition to Panther from Jaguar for me was easy, but not worth it. The Finder is loaded with like 8 or 9 problems that weren't in Jaguar...and I'm ending it here before I get started again.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I reformatted and installed when I went from Jaguar to Panther and I had no issues at all. I was expecting some of my older applications to break - the only one that had trouble was Norton Utilities (which THANK GOD I am no longer using - in case you ask, I know it's gone because I got a new Mac since then, and I reformatted when I had my old Mac to make sure it was gone).