How was there NOT "One more thing...." from Apple Today?? (Macworld 08.... did suck)

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by christall109, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

When Steve today said I have 4 things to tell you today, in my head I thought well there must be 5 because of the "One more thing...". However, THIS NEVER CAME and when Steve introduced the performer.... I felt incomplete.

Steve even wasn't his usual charismatic self. Poor Steve, he looked really tired and almost sick.

The products announced today were all in one way or another already known about. I can't believe just how accurate these rumors were.
    -MacBook Air
    -The 1.1.3 update for the iPhone
    -Movie Rentals
    -:apple:TV upgrade

Macworld 08 felt incomplete... like it was just getting started then it was over. It seems like a set up for future innovations to come. I feel right now, the same as when I finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It seems like this Macworld is just a preview of what's to come.

My own $.02-

February SDK for iPhone will be released in an "iPhone event".
    I can easily see native apps like iChat, and apps from Sling and Facebook being announced. The iPhone 3G will be announced and will have an increase in memory to 16GB. Also we will get a video camera and copy and paste.

Then, I can see another Mac even (much like the one in August) being used to announce revisions to the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Cinema Displays (Lower Prices and iSight integrated in them). Probably mutitouch trackpads throughout the line. Who knows maybe the price of the MacBook Air will be reduced (AND WHY IS IT $999 for a SSD?!)

Who knows. All I know is that I'm still waiting for "One more thing...."

2. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The "one more thing" is stupid and I am glad he didn't repeat it.

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well what are the odds of Apple releasing something as big as the iPhone two years in a row? I'm quite pleased with Macworld, especially with Time Capsule as I am in the market for not only a wireless router but an external hard drive as well.

5. bov
    macrumors 6502

6. macrumors 6502a

There was no "one more thing" at last years MacWorld, so yeah.

7. macrumors regular

Wasn't it safari for windows?

8. macrumors 6502a

Oh, as for the Harry Potter thing you described, Rowling herself said that HBP and DH are really only 1 book in her mind, where HBP is part 1 and DH is part 2 of the ending. I should know because if there are two things I'm a fanboy of in this world it's Harry Potter and :apple:. I guess I'm like Andrew Sims in that respect.:cool:

9. macrumors regular

I was hoping he would go back and touch the MacBook Air's display and.........

Not that I am in the market or could afford it, but that would have been pretty sexy.

10. macrumors 6502

coolant113

I really wish there was a tablet mac released.. but the macworld was ok wasnt the best one:apple::apple:

11. macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

That would have been really nice. i wanted displays too.

12. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

I was hoping for new ACDs, but OP, you shouldn't assume Steve will always give a "one more thing", because then you will almost always end up dissappointed when it doesn't give it.

13. macrumors 65816

Luis

That was WWDC

14. macrumors regular

Whoops, my bad :eek:

15. macrumors member

Is there a WWDC 2008 ??

16. macrumors 6502

Stole the words right out of my mouth. This is the problem with many of the fans in wanting instant gratification. The smartest thing that Jobs has said was that all of these products where just introduced in the first 2 weeks of this year with 50 more weeks to go. Of course everyone is disappointed, including myself in hoping that there would be at least a leopard update to 10.5.2. There was strong talk about that but we still have WWDC 2008. Expect some huge bombs to be dropped then. Leopard update (if not sooner), iphone update (3g or a new model with more memory), new displays ect. Time flies.

17. macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

First of all, the world's thinnest laptop was revealed, a major technological feat that no other manufacturer has produced (hell, no one has even come close to the beauty of the MacBook Pro yet).

Then, as an Apple TV owner, I am really happy about the updates.

Finally, pulling a wafer thin laptop out of a manilla folder is much cooler than just saying, "oh, I have one more thing."

Maybe if you did not spend every bleeding moment searching for and speculating about rumors then you would be more surprised and happy about the announcements.

Apple is certainly at least a year ahead of the competition. What else do you want?

Maybe you need to watch a Michael Dell keynote to know you already have it so good.

18. macrumors 68020

phungy

The Sony Vaio X505 is just as thin and was released about 4 years ago (but for a premium, top model was $3999)

19. macrumors 6502

And even then, after the announcement of the iPhone, people were going 'Mac World 07 was crap - where were the mac things?'. Some people just never learn to cap their expectations.

20. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I don't remember ever seeing a portable without the option of user replaceable battery. I could be wrong. Thin but same footprint as present MB.

21. macrumors newbie

Stuff missing

There was a lot of stuff missing:
    • Mac Mini v.2
    • Apple Macintosh (a desktop with desktop components half the size and price of Mac Pro)
    • The iNewton - a larger iPod touch with more power
    • Blu-Ray support (playback and authoring)

22. Guest

Sky Blue

stuff missing, or stuff you made up?

23. macrumors 6502

illitrate23

the whole point on the "one more thing" thing originally was that it was unexpected. you thought all the great news had already been done, and then suddenly, here's something that's even better and it takes you and everyone by surprise
    but Jobs knows it has come to be expected. it's not longer a surprise, it's de rigueur. So now he doesn't do it. And so it's a surprise again - not in the same way, but it still gets people talking, still gets people writing news articles about it - and when they write those, they're gonna mention all new Apple products that he announced and so that's free advertising direct to all those who didn't bother to watch the keynote.
    if he had done a "one more thing" there'd be half the press coverage than there has been today

24. macrumors newbie

That's stuff many, many people are willing to buy. I won't be buying anything shown yesterday, waiting for stuff I'll actually use.

25. macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

"The Sony Vaio X505 is just as thin and was released about 4 years ago (but for a premium, top model was $3999)."

Yeah, well they are not doing it with today's most advanced technologies.

I mean, come on, Intel made an exclusive 60% smaller core 2 duo chip just for this Apple product. Talk about a strong partnership.

Sony used a weak single core pentium m processer (and it was even considered weak back then).

Don't be a muppet. Nobody has a laptop like this.