How well do games perform on iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Zeekium, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Zeekium macrumors newbie

Zeekium

Hey, i was just curious about the difference in playing UT2K4 on an iBook G4, 32 vram, 256 RAM compared to playing it on an iMac G5 128 vram, 1 gig RAM.

Now im sure the iMac is better than the iBook. The loading times on my iBook were like 3-5 min. playing UT2K4. How about on an iMac G5? How good is the iMac G5 with games like Doom 3, UT2K4, Call of Duty, etc.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I would add another game here: Knights of the Old Republic. How well does it run on the iMac G5? (specs above)

3. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

All will run fine, Doom3 will be average, but very playable.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Oh, this calmed me down :D. Whats left to do now is to make my parents buy this iMac, but that's the most difficult part :(

5. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Yea they run ut2004 like the wind. Go for 2gigs of ram and you will be happy.

SimCity 2000 running in classic is very pleasureable on the iMac as well.

6. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Forgot to add, Oregon Trail running in vmac running in classic absolutely frekin' screams.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The RevB iMac G5 will be fine for most games, as long as you have enough RAM (I'd go for 1gb+) and you are prepared to turn down the resolution and detail settings on some of the newest games (Doom 3, etc).

I have a RevA iMac with the lame-o 5200ultra and only 768mb of RAM. I played WoW just fine until I sold it, Halo runs great (better than I expected, actually... compares well to my old PC which was 2.4ghz P4 w/ 9600pro/128mb), WC3 plays great of course. Haven't tried Doom3 yet, and not likely to do so (no demo and don't want to drop the $50 when I am fairly certain it'll run like butt).

But, a RevB will be fine. The GPU in those is pretty decent, has enough VRAM to get by, and the faster CPU and FSB will help in games with lots of AI, etc.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Like UT2004 with super-smart CPU-intesive bots :D

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Me and my iMac can pwn on ET servers. :D

Sorry, I just had to get "pwn" in there somehow. I can play ET easily with all sorts of stuff going on in the background (browser, music, email etc.)

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Umm, what is ET? :rolleyes:

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, it's a free WWII based game from the Wolfenstein people. It's awesome! :D

Enemy Territory

12. Zeekium thread starter macrumors newbie

Zeekium

cool thanks for the replys. I just didnt want so much lag, that i was getting with my iBook...

13. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

In a few months when I get my 17" 2.0Ghz G5 I plan on ordering three games with that that I previously could not play on my eMac (Radeon 7500, 1GHz) : Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc, Jedi Academy, and Simcity 4.

14. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I just got a 2.0 iMac G5 with 2GB RAM and 128 Vram, WoW works amazingly well. I would think it would be able to play most if not all mac games.