How well do imacs hold their value?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by walleyealx, Oct 27, 2006.

1. walleyealx macrumors member

From what ive seen mac laptops hold their values very well.

Do imacs hold their value like the laptops?

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I would say, not as well as the portables. Not nearly as well. The all-in-one design brings down the value.

3. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

the larger the screen, the more value they hold.
    a 24" is going to hold value a lot better than a 17"
    because of the novelty of a huge screen.

Still, they don't hold value as well as laptops, that's
    for sure. It kinda depends how LONG you need it to
    hold value for. In the first year, it will significantlly
    decrease in value, but in 3 or 4 years it will still have
    a fairly high value for that old of a computer.

I just unloaded my 4 year old G4 iMac for a pretty
    high-spec'd newer PC desktop.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

They do....

They definately do, I have wen t through every revision of the current iMac design. From the first G5 to the new C2D Intel. I qualify for the education discount and a significant discount off Applecare.

Normally I save around £150 on the retail price. Each time I have sold my model on eBay so I can upgrade to the new one, I have actually made a small profit on what I purchased the iMac for (so someone who bought it at retail price would maybe lose around £100 in my situation). The Applecare is trasnferable and I normally get RAM upgrades as a gift from my partner. These both help the machine to sell well.

So yes, if you put in some effort, you can easily scrape back most of the cash 9-12months after purchasing your iMac - this is coming from experience.

David

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I recently sold my iMac G4 800mhz 1Gb Ram Superdrive model for £360 (US$682) on ebay, so you can get a fair amount if its what someone is looking for.

I picked this 17" up for £495 (US$938) on ebay. And its soon going back on!

7. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

They do....

They definately do, I have wen t through every revision of the current iMac design. From the first G5 to the new C2D Intel. I qualify for the education discount and a significant discount off Applecare.

Normally I save around £150 on the retail price. Each time I have sold my model on eBay so I can upgrade to the new one, I have actually made a small profit on what I purchased the iMac for (so someone who bought it at retail price would maybe lose around £100 in my situation). The Applecare is trasnferable and I normally get RAM upgrades as a gift from my partner. These both help the machine to sell well.

So yes, if you put in some effort, you can easily scrape back most of the cash 9-12months after purchasing your iMac - this is coming from experience.

David