how well do "subscribed to" calendars and address books work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarkD, Jul 29, 2005.

1. MarkD macrumors newbie

Dear Gang,

I'm still using Panther, but I'm about to upgrade to Tiger. One of the main reasons I switched to Apple a couple of years ago is their iSync software. I'm now using this software to juggle some pretty complicated scheduling between my wife and myself (we both work). I'm looking forward to the ability to "subscribe" to calendars and address books from other .Mac accounts using Tiger. I bought a second .Mac account as I want to be able to have my secretary keep a "work schedule" on her computer and .Mac account that I "subscribe to" via my home computers which are synched with a separate .Mac account. However, I've never seen this ability to "subscribe" to schedules and addresses work, and I was looking for advice / opinions from the group in these regards.

Specifically, how well does "subscribing" to calendars and address books work in Tiger? Will the software let you specify which categories from iCal and Address Book are put up for subscription? Or, will the entire calendar and address book (including all categories) from a given .Mac account get published when "subscription" is enabled with Tiger? Any glitches that ya'll can forsee with this kind of set-up?

TIA for taking the time to respond to my questions,
    Mark

2. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Don't know about sharing the Address Book (yet), but am very happy with publishing calendars using iCal. You can choose which category get published. I publish my work and travel schedule, which is subscribed to by my students. Have been doing this for quite a while and it has worked well. IIRC Panther does allow you to publish and share calendars, just not addresses. You can try that out.

BTW, Tiger is well worth it even without the publishing addresses capability. I have started using both Spotlight and Dashboard quite often.