Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Hey Blizzard fanboys, how well does the MacOSX version of Diablo III run on the Mac? About on par with the Windows version?

Do the Mac gamers (on the D3 support forums) complain of more bugs/glitches/oversights compared to their PC counterparts? Obviously I ask this because I am not currently registered on the Diablo III forums, as I do not yet have the game. Nor do I have any active BattleNet account.

Last time I played on a BNet account was... was..... was when George Dubya Bush was still President. :D

And please. I'm not really asking for input whether you like this feature, or you hate that feature of Diablo III. I've already heard tons and TONS of friends say how the game implementation is sucky (e.g. like they now force you to always be logged on the internet to even play solo). Yes and yes. I'm already aware of the controversial features of the game. All I really wanna know is, is the Mac version of the game somewhat on par with the Windows version? I'm gonna buy the DVD, so I can install it either on my Mac or my PC. Just wondering if the Mac version runs fine. I have a late 2012 iMac, maxed out in hardware options.

Thanks for input.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Hey Blizzard fanboys, how well does the MacOSX version of Diablo III run on the Mac? About on par with the Windows version?

Do the Mac gamers (on the D3 support forums) complain of more bugs/glitches/oversights compared to their PC counterparts? Obviously I ask this because I am not currently registered on the Diablo III forums, as I do not yet have the game. Nor do I have any active BattleNet account.

Last time I played on a BNet account was... was..... was when George Dubya Bush was still President. :D

And please. I'm not really asking for input whether you like this feature, or you hate that feature of Diablo III. I've already heard tons and TONS of friends say how the game implementation is sucky (e.g. like they now force you to always be logged on the internet to even play solo). Yes and yes. I'm already aware of the controversial features of the game. All I really wanna know is, is the Mac version of the game somewhat on par with the Windows version? I'm gonna buy the DVD, so I can install it either on my Mac or my PC. Just wondering if the Mac version runs fine. I have a late 2012 iMac, maxed out in hardware options.

Thanks for input.

If you have a 2012 iMac. It will run the OSX version just fine.
You'll be happy there.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I'm running the Starter Edition on an early 2008 iMac (2.8Ghz Core2duo, Radeon HD2600Pro 256Mb, 4Gb RAM) with everything on the lowest setting at native resolution of 1920x1200 and I must say it runs surprisingly well and still looks good...

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Mac® OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.x or newer*
Intel® Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better
2 GB RAM
12 GB available HD space
DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only)
Broadband** Internet connection
1024x768 minimum resolution

Or
Mac® OS X 10.7.x or newer
Intel® Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI Radeon™ HD 4670 or better

Note: FileVault and FileVault 2 are not supported for installation.

fleabite

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
No issues here

I played it all the way though with my 2010 21" iMac, 3.6 i5, which has only 2 cores. 512 MB Radeon HD 5670. Ran it on high settings, native resolution without a glitch. You should be fine, even with the base 2012.:cool:

Ovistavin

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
It runs fine on my 2008 Mac Pro running 10.6.8. I have it installed on my 2010 MacBook Air and I know it runs, but I haven't spent a lot of time with to see if there are any issues.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Thanks to the updates Blizzard released almost all performance issues are gone on the Mac side, in fact I tried the game on both Windows 8 and Mac OSX just to make sure which gave me a smoother experience, I noticed no difference at all..

On my iMac I run it at highest settings @ 1080P without AA. But be prepared to experience some lag If you have a slow internet connection or If your downloading while playing the game, but nothing can really be done about that..

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
I ran D3 on my old (now dead) 2008 24" iMac, C2D 3.06 Ghz, 4GB ram, Geforce 8800 GS 512 MB at 1920x1200 with 30 fps capped (it did run at 60 fps in a lot of places but the fps dropped to about 28-30 fps in big fights). Most settings on low except textures which I left at medium.

Managed to beat Diablo on Inferno with it. So yeah, it did run quite well.

I haven't bothered trying it on my maxed out 2012 27" iMac but I'm pretty sure it will run at +60 fps constantly with everything on the highest settings.

Last edited:

shawndg

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
I have a late 2012 27" imac with the 2GB graphics card and I run Diablo 3 with all settings turned to the highest and don't have any issues at all.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Glad it's running fine for all you guys; it used to be for me when there were "issues" but now that they have apparently been fixed I can't get the game to run at all. I click play in the Launcher, the splash screen comes up and then the game stops responding.

So yeah, not trying to hijack the thread just offering a warning that it's not all daisies and happiness.

NikkiNikk

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
I have the late 2012 27" iMac (i5 3,2 GHZ, 8 GB Ram, GTX680MX) and maxed out everthing in the Settings - and it works wonderful.

BUT - i have to turn vsync on to avoid tearing, anyone else have to do this?

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I have the late 2012 27" iMac (i5 3,2 GHZ, 8 GB Ram, GTX680MX) and maxed out everthing in the Settings - and it works wonderful.

BUT - i have to turn vsync on to avoid tearing, anyone else have to do this?

Yes, I also have V-Sync on to avoid tearing, it's normal ; )

@OP: it runs well, but Windows in general yields higher FPS. In the case of Diablo III it doesn't really matter though.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011

Thanks for input.

Runs great on my 2011 MBP. Not sure how it compares and most players wouldn’t due to the fact you only need one setup. I love the game. :D

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
No way does it run as well as the Windows version. I have the 2010 iMac 27" and I get a steady 15 fps using the native resolution and v-sync. No anti-aliasing, other settings at medium or high. Granted the graphics card is bad but it definitely runs better on Windows.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
No way does it run as well as the Windows version. I have the 2010 iMac 27" and I get a steady 15 fps using the native resolution and v-sync. No anti-aliasing, other settings at medium or high. Granted the graphics card is bad but it definitely runs better on Windows.

They run both the exact same for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.